Toxic: Chapter #29 | Our Place

Zach's Past

☣ ♡ ☣

After karaoke night, it was like I couldn't hold back anymore. Despite telling myself I wouldn't pursue anything with Giana, I went out of my way to spend time with her. At least she didn't seem to mind. Sometimes, Lu would join us and a few times I would go to meet up with them and find they were already there and would be laughing or seemed to be having a good time together.

I'm embarrassed to admit I began to suspect they had become a thing. That thought resulted in my distancing myself and becoming closed off from both of them. It wasn't exactly a conscious decision to do so, but it was hard not to when I made that assumption. I should have known that you should never assume as it makes and ass of you and me.

☣ ♡ ☣

Anyway, there was one day when I went to meet up with them only to find Giana alone on the swings at the park. That confused me. I slowly made my way over to her and tilted my head. "No Lu today?"

She looked up and shook her head. "No. I'm sorry. He had to run a few errands in the city. So, you're stuck with me. I feel sorry for you for that."

I quirked a smile at that. "Oh, well, I don't feel sorry for me. I consider myself lucky."

Giana blushed lightly at that and then softly cleared her throat. "Well, what would you like to do today then, Zach?"

I thought for a moment before saying, "Well, I had thought about a walk but that's not Lu's cup of tea. So, I hadn't suggested it. Maybe, since it's just you and me though you'd like to go on a walk with me?" I was so nervous to ask for that but pushed past the nerves and was rewarded with a bright smile from her.

"I'd love to. Good thing I wore something that works for that. I mean if I'd been in heels then we'd have a problem."

I tilted my head taking in her appearance for the first time since arriving. Usually, I was always drawn in by her hair and her eyes. Her hair was usually in a hit ponytail or in a side braid that always made me think of Katniss Everdeen. That day she was wearing a newer casual outfit that I hadn't seen before. She had on jean shorts, a blue tank top with a white pineapple on it and quote that said: "Be like a pineapple. Stand tall, be sweet on the inside and wear a crown". She also wore a pair of blue converse that matched the color of the tank top. I myself also wore a casual outfit. I was in a simple pair of tan cargo shorts, a white short sleeved t-shirt with a pastel, olive green short sleeved button up shirt over it and a pair of black converse.

I then met her gaze and softly said, "I don't think I've seen you dressed up, but I bet you could still walk like a boss even in heels. I mean I'd fall on my face before I could take a step."

She blushed again and giggled softly eliciting a soft smile from me. "Thanks, Zach."

"You're welcome," I replied and then gestured to the path nearby. "Shall we?"

She nodded and stood up from the swing. "We shall."

☣ ♡ ☣

That's how we ended up on a back country road, just walking and talking. She did most of the talking and once again I didn't mind. I loved her voice and could listen to it all day.

When we got closer to the waterfall where Lu and I had...well you know...I found myself pausing. I hadn't been up there in so long. Giana must've noticed. she paused next to me and followed my gaze. "Did you want to go up there?"

I nodded slowly but then looked at her and softly asked, "Would you go with me?"

"Of course, I will."

So, we began our ascent to the top of the waterfall and when we got to the top, we sat on the edge hanging, our legs off. The look of awe on her face was priceless as she said, "Wow. Z-Zach it's beautiful up here. You can see for miles. It's gorgeous."

I watched her and softly said, "It sure is."

She looked at me, noticing I was looking at her. She started blushing lightly and I couldn't resist as I slowly reached towards her and tucked her hair behind her ear. She watched me closely and I swallowed thickly as I pulled my hand away but before I could shove it in my pocket as I usually did, she took my hand in hers. When I looked at her, I found her gaze back on the horizon, but I saw her glance at me when I slowly intertwined my fingers with hers. Butterflies erupted in my stomach once more and I bit back a grin. It felt so right for our fingers to be laced together like that.

☣ ♡ ☣

After that, we didn't say anything but neither of us minded the quiet. We were comfortable and I felt so calm in that moment. When I looked at her again the sun was setting. The light of the setting sun caught her eyes and hair so perfectly causing me to inhale sharply. Giana was breathtaking then and still is today.

She looked at me and tilted her head softly asking, "Are you alright Zach?"

I nodded, my eyes locked on hers before softly saying, "I just wondered something."

She smiled. "Oh? What are you wondering?"

I found myself moving my thumb across the back of her hand as I softly asked, "Can this be our place? You and me?"

Her eyes widened and I had that same feeling of worry that I'd gone too far or perhaps my request was too intense. However, that worry was quickly replaced with relief when her lips brushed against the back of my hand. Giana smiled at me. "Absolutely."

My heart swelled with happiness, fluttering with hope as we both turned our gazes back to the horizon, our fingers still laced together.

☣ ♡ ☣

We stayed there until long after the sun had set and then watched the stars for a while. When it came time to leave, we held hands the entire time and every now and then I moved my thumb back and forth across the back of her hand. It was comfortable, perfect and just felt right in every way.

When we finally did make our way back down and began the journey home, we still held hands and my heart swelled even more. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. The walk back to Lu's house seemed to last forever and yet not long enough. We only let go of each other's hands when it was time for her to go inside. As I was making my way home, after saying goodnight, I couldn't help the dopey smile on my face. I was looking forward to the next time we would go to our place.

☣ ♡ ☣

Giana's Outift:

☣ ♡ ☣

Zach's Outfit: