Toxic: Chapter #75 | Under-Study

Zach's Past

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

⚠️ Warning: ⚠️

This chapter contains mild language, a bullying professor, discussions of consent and brief mentions of being forced to kiss. Take care!!

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

With the MCATs drawing nearer and nearer, our professors set about creating a study group sign up sheet that was posted in the main foyer of Long Beach University's science building, Newton. While I was quite content with my group of friends and with my wife, I wasn't opposed to joining a study group, especially considering I was the only one in my group that was studying to be a doctor. Adam, Abby, Giana, Charlie and Viola all had areas of study more in the arts while I was firmly ensconced in the sciences.

Anyways, I of course wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to study with other people. We all signed up and then after the deadline for sign ups passed, our professors divided up into groups. My study group consisted of three guys (including myself) and three girls. Their names were Daniel Davidson, Brayden Banks, Raegan Lewis, Stacy Keller, Marley Davis and me. We exchanged numbers and agreed to do our studying in the library on the second floor.

The MCATs were divided into four sections or four parts if you will: Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems, Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills.

The six of us decided to study the material in the order in which we'd be given it on the exam. Just like I would put everything out of my mind except cheerleading for practices, I put everything out of my mind except studying for the MCATs.

We had dived deep into every topic, not a single one of us wanting to leave anything out or miss anything. We all knew this would make or break our futures. Everyone was focused and dedicated and no one person carried the load. We actually made a really good team and that to me was a huge relief. Even though I knew I needed a study group, I had been extremely nervous about how we would mesh. I knew my strengths, but I also knew my weaknesses and I wasn't all that confident going into it, that I would fit in or that I'd get along with my study group peers. However, it turned out that I had nothing to worry about and for that alone I was beyond grateful.

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

The questions weren't easy by any means, but I was grateful for all of the work that I had put in when I was in my various classes the past several semesters. We had questions like the following and we worked hard to be prepared.

☣︎

Question: How many electrons does it take to fill the d orbitals of a low-spin coordination complex?

» 10

» 6

» 5

» 3

☣︎

Question: A beam of light refracts as it passes from air into water (n = 4/3). What is the speed of the refracted light beam?

» 2.00 108 m/s

» 2.23 108 m/s

» 3.00 108 m/s

» 4.00 108 m/s

☣︎

Question: If two moles of an ideal gas absorb 900 J of heat energy while they perform 600 J of work on their surroundings, what is the change in the temperature of the gas?