Toxic: Chapter #81 | Epilogue

Zach's Present

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

Five Years Later

Slowly, I walk upstairs to the study of our cabin and make my way over to the shelves. The journal rests right where I left it, in the middle of the second shelf from the bottom, making it no trouble at all to pull it down from the shelf and open it.

I settle into my chair and crack open the cover but then I pause with my pen hovering over the page as I look at the wall behind the desk. Giana and I have been returning to the cabin every single summer and, when we return, we leave behind a reminder of our lives and all that we have accomplished.

To the left of the desk hangs a gold medal for the 2024 Olympics for Cheerleading. Next to that hangs a framed letter of acceptance to medical school and right next to the letter of acceptance I see my bachelors, masters and doctorate degrees side by side in wood frames that my dad made.

I am now Doctor Zach Anderson and I even have my own practice. I decided to be a pediatrician and work with kids, specializing in trauma but I am able to work in any area involving pediatric care.

My eyes now slide over to the right side of the desk where there's a framed playbill for Giana's first Broadway show. I always knew that she would make it one day, not to mention that there are several other playbills framed and hanging on the wall as well. There are at least six and that doesn't include her upcoming show. On top of that, Giana also published a book series for young adults that has done exceedingly well and has more in the works. The two of us together have a podcast called: From Toxic to Wholesome that we update at least once a week.

With a smile on my face, my gaze shifts once more to settle on a picture of one of my favorite new additions to our lives. Speaking of which, I can just hear the pitter patter of—"Daddy!"

I spin around in my chair and open my arms wide to scoop up my four-year-old daughter, Iris Juliet Anderson. We named her for Iris from the Shakespeare play The Tempest and it means rainbow after the storm. "Hello, Il mio piccolo raggio di sole, my little sunbeam." I press a kiss to her cheek, and she giggles. Giana and I decided to raise our children to speak both English and Italian and Iris has caught on quite quickly. It never ceases to amaze me how smart she is. I say she gets it from Giana, but my wife says she gets it from both of us.

She giggles, and then she wiggles in my arms, and I can't help but pepper her face with kisses. "Where's mommy?"

Iris smiles. "Not here!" She opens her hands for all gone and I chuckle softly. We've been teaching her sign language on top of Italian and English since she was a baby.

"I see. Well, what about your—" I cut off when I see Giana walking in with our son on her hip.

"Iris? What did mommy say?"

Iris looks over and slumps. "Not to bodder, daddy."

I look at Giana with an appreciative smile and shrug one shoulder. "It won't take me too long to finish up here and then we're going to play outside. How does that sound?"

Iris cheers and wiggles out of my arms until she's back on the floor. "Mommy, will you do my hair?"

Giana gently runs her fingers through our daughter's brunette curls and smiles. "Of course, I will. Go to mommy and daddy's room and I'll be right there."

She quickly runs to our room and Giana turns to me, steps closer and gently runs her fingers through my hair. "Are you doing okay?"

I nod and gently wiggle our son's foot. "Mhm."