Toxic: Chapter #66 | High Hopes

Zach's Present

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

With a happy sigh, I set my pen down on the desk, watching as the journal remains open and I don't know if that's because of how long I've been writing or because of the weight of my words. Either way, it feels good to be getting more down and with every letter I pen, I feel lighter and lighter.

I glance down when I hear a soft mew and when I feel a small body rub against my let. Azul wants me to pick her up and how could I say no? So, I push back the chair from the desk and scoop her up, placing a kiss on the top of her head. "Hey, you," I whisper.

She meows at me, and I bring her up to my cheek where she begins to nuzzle me, a loud purr escaping.

I chuckle and Giana smiles at the two of us. "You two are quite the pair, aren't you?"

With a grin, I swivel to face Giana and shrug one shoulder. "We are indeed."

Azul meows again and I chuckle once more. "I love you too, Little Zuli."

Giana's expression softens and her fondness is evident in the way she's looking at us. Her focus shifts back to her Kindle after a few minutes and I continue cuddling Azul. Despite the calm atmosphere, I'm ready to do something more than write. So, I cradle Azul against my chest as I stand and make my way over to Giana. "Do you know what tonight is, My Sunflower?"

She looks up, quirking a brow at me and puckers her lips for a kiss, which I easily and eagerly give her. "Yes," she replies when she pulls back. "Do you?"

I grin, my eyes shimmering with challenge. "Oh, definitely. It's Just Dance Date Night Dance Off."

Giggles erupt from her mouth at the way I am nearly vibrating with excitement.

"I'll get the snacks and drinks if you get the game set up."

"Deal!"

☣︎ ❦ ☣︎ ❦ ☣︎

The two of us head downstairs, Giana going to the kitchen while I carry Azul into the living room so I can turn on both the gaming console and the tv. Giana gathers popcorn, candy, chips and soda for us to indulge in while we play and brings them to the living room. Then she sets about organizing them on the coffee table.

"There we go. That's enough sustenance to last us for days."

I grin as I pull up Just Dance 2019. "Well, I'll gladly play for days."

She giggles. "You mean you'll keep playing in the hopes you might come close to beating me?"

Blushing and knowing how unlikely such a thing is, I sigh dramatically. "That too and just so you know, I will beat you one of these days. So, you best be prepared."

She laughs softly and looks at the screen to see me pull up the song High Hopes by the artist Panic At the Disco. She quirks a brow, challenge shimmering in her sapphire eyes. "This one? Wow. It feels like it's been ages since we danced to this."

I nod, a smile on my face. "Exactly. That means I might actually stand a chance."

A roll of her eyes, though playful, tells me she doubts it but there's always a first time. I like her competitive side and I relish the kiss she places on my cheek. "Well, let's see what you've got, Mr. Anderson."

I raise an eyebrow, a smirk replacing my smile. "Oh, I'm prepared to bring it, Mrs. Anderson."

She raises an eyebrow right back at me as I hit play, both of us focusing on the tv as the song begins to play and we start matching the moves on the screen.