2:6 In Danger

Part Two: Where Are the Children?

Chapter Six: In Danger

Cauden and I walked slowly to the middle of the room, staying quiet. I was afraid to speak, afraid I'd reveal to my father that I had been bullied my whole life.

I took a deep breath as i looked around, memories resurfacing. Tears threatened, but I swallowed them back.

"Hey, it's alright. Nobody can mess with you now." Cauden squeezed my hand, trying to comfort me. I glared at him.

"What? Mess with her? What do you mean?" The Doctor had been walking around, and now he turned to face us.

"Nothing, dad." I threw Cauden a 'you better shut up' face before smiling at my father.

"She didn't tell you?" Cauden sounded shocked.

"Cauden, please don't..." I tried to stop him.

"Tell me what?" My dad came to stand in front of us, looking a little confused.

"The other kids bullied her." Cauden looked right at my dad, probably trying to avoid my glare.

"What? Why?" He looked at me, and I looked down. "Adrian?" He sounded so sad.

I gulped and glanced up. "I dunno. Cause they could. Mum was in prison, and they used that to get at me." I shrugged like it was no big deal. It wasn't a big deal.

"I'm sorry." My dad reached for me, but I jerked back, releasing Cauden's hand as well.

"It's fine." I walked away, going to a bookshelf all the way on the other side of the room. I knelt down and pulled out my favourite kid's book, I'll Love You Forever, from Earth. When I was little, I used to look at the pictures, and Mum would read it to me whenever she visited. I sat down and opened it, my eyes misting over just the slightest. I took a shaky, deep breath and ran my fingers down the page.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and glanced back, seeing Ronnie crouching behind me. "Hey, that's tough. But you're okay." He smiled and went to look at a window.

"Excuse me, may I help you?" I put the book back on the shelf and stood up, turning to face the person that had spoken. It was a female, with leathery skin and long black dreads. She had kind brown eyes that sat real close together above a small nose. She wore a simple green dress with a shawl wrapped around her shoulders. She was smiling, but looked confused.

I smiled and waved, excited. "Caith! It's me, Adrian!"

"Adrian?" The lights brightened a bit and she stepped closer, and I ran to her. "Oh! Oh, child! It's good to see you!" She hugged me, and I threw my arms around her and squeezed.

"It's good to see you too!" I laughed, and she held me at arm's length, looking me over. She smiled kindly and glanced at my dad and friends behind me. "Oh! Caith, this is my father, the Doctor. And my friends, Calico, Ronnie and Kourtland. And you remember Cauden? He left when he was about twelve."

"Yes! Cauden, child! You've grown!" She waved him over and took his hand when he was close enough. "Not that I mind, but why are you here?"

"Um, could we maybe chat over a spot of tea?" The Doctor smiled a bit.

Half an hour later we were all sitting in the cafeteria, drinking tea and munching on Caith's chocolate chip cookies. "Caith is the headmistress here, she knows all of the kids personally." Cauden was explaining to the others.

I was still mad at him, so I was sitting as far away as I could. I had my feet on the chair I sat on, and an arm wrapped around my knees. My chin was propped you on my knees and my tea sat untouched. I avoided my dad's gaze and stared off onto space, listening to the sounds of the storm raging outside.

"Adrian, can I talk to you? Alone?" Cauden's voice penetrated my attempt at quietness. I turned my head and looked up at him, catching the hurt in his expression. "Please?"

I sighed and unfolded myself from my chair before following him to the far side of the room. "What." I crossed my arms and did my best 'I'm pissed at you' glare.

He sighed and took my elbows in his hands, leaning down to my level. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't know you never told him."

"Yeah, well. He wouldn't have been able to do anything. Or, if he can, he has a time machine, so now he knows and he might change something." I turned my face away, studying the wall beside us. It was full of pictures that kids had drawn and colored. The pictures stretched all the way to the high ceiling, and I could vaguely remember the picture I had drawn when I was six. "He could mess up my life."

Cauden was silent for a minute, his thumbs rubbing my arms. "I'm sorry, okay? Love, I didn't mean to..."

"But you did." I stared at him, then sighed, relaxing. "I'm sorry. It's just that Dad gets overprotective of me." I looked down, staring at his arms.

"Hey, Adrian." He moved his hands and cupped my cheeks, making me look into his eyes. "It's okay. I get it, that's why I'm sorry." He pushed my hair out of my face.

I chewed on my lip and looked into his brown eyes, seeing understanding. I nodded and attempted a smile, un-crossing my arms. "Okay. You're forgiven if I am." I clutched his shirt in my hands at his sides.

"Always, Love." He smiled and kissed me before hugging me. I wrapped my arms around his torso and sighed contentedly.

Then a piercing shriek ripped through the room, and a siren started up. A slightly muffled voice sounded across the intercom: "All residents make way to the common room. I repeat, all residents make way to the common room or else you'll all die!"