3:3 Two Hearts

Part Three: The Impossible

Chapter Three: Two Hearts

Recap: We sat and waited for what seemed like hours before Cauden and my dad rejoined us. My dad looked around and stuck his hands in his pants pockets. He looked really excited, his grin stretching his face. "He's a Time Lord!"

I blinked at my father, who had taken his hands out of his pockets to rub them together. "A Ti- what are you talking about?"

"Two hearts, regenerative abilities, the works!" Dad giggled, like he often did when he was excited. "He has the DNA of a Time Lord!"

Kourtland shook his head. "That's Impossible! When he broke his arm last year, he only had one heart. They would've kept him there longer otherwise." Calico nodded her agreement.

"Well He's got two now!" Dad flipped a few switches and pressed a button. "This is the X-ray we just took a bit a go." He swung the screen and sure enough, two hearts were clearly there.

Not able to just stand here any longer, I went to Cauden and wrapped my arms around his torso. I placed my ear right in the middle of his chest, and if I concentrated, I could indeed hear two heartbeats at once. I closed my eyes and relaxed when he placed his arms around me.

When I looked up, my mum was whirling around the TARDIS, starting her up. "Where are we going?"

She smiled. "Let's find out why he had one heart!"

I grinned at her and looked up at Cauden. He smiled down at me and kissed my forehead. "Can we stop somewhere first?" I took Cauden's hand and dragged him towards my mother. She smiled, knowing where I was talking about, and started flipping switches and pressing buttons.

"Yea! We'll be there soon." She pressed the blue buttons, and Dad pouted.

"You're using the boringers?" He crossed his arms.

"Dad, she only turned the breaks off." I giggled, and Cauden wrapped his arms around me from behind, laying his chin on my head. I put my hands on his arms and took a deep breath, enjoying the warmth of his alive-ness.

"They're boringers." He leaned against the rail near my mum and watched as she ran around.

I shook my head and looked at my friends. Ronnie was staring bewildered at Cauden, inching closer. Kourtland and Calico sat on the stairs nearby, leaning close and whispering at each other. I smiled at them and leaned into Cauden as my mother drove the TARDIS, heading towards a random place in the middle of space.

"Whoa!" I grinned as I watched my friends crowd around the door of the TARDIS. We were floating in the middle of space, stars, planets and galaxies surrounding us on all sides. Kourtland was leaning out, a childish grin on his face. "This is awesome!"

"Hey, don't lean out so far!" Calico laughed, holding onto the back of his shirt. Ronnie was poking at Cauden, trying to startle him off the ship. "Ronnie, quit trying to get Cauden to jump off. Cauden, stop provoking him! God, it's like having three twelve year olds..."

I laughed and leaned into my mother's side. Dad stood on my other side, his arm slung over my shoulders. We watched my friends marvel over the slendidness that is our universe.

Just over their heads, I could barely make out the swirls and twirls of a galaxy.