5:7 The End

Part Five: This Life

Chapter Seven: The End

I felt the TARDIS shudder as she landed, and I rolled over in bed. I burried my head into the pillows, not wanting to leave my safe cocoon of blankets. I laid still when I heard my door creak open, and huffed out a breath when a small body landed on mine.

"Mummy! Get up now, it's time to go!" Dean straddled my back and shook me a bit. I made sure to put on an act of playfulness, pushing back the sadness I felt. After a talk with my parents, Ronnie, and Cauden we all agreed that Dean's best chance right now was at the orphanage where Cauden and I had grown up.

I turned in bed, and he landed with a 'oomf' on the covers. "But I don't wanna get up!" I grinned at him, and he grinned back.

"Come on, mummy!" I reached for him, tickling his sides. He giggled and squirmed away, kicking at my hands.

"Alright, I'm coming. I need something to eat, anyway." I rolled out of bed and stretched, laughing loudly when the boy tickled my exposed stomach. "Hey! Now that's cheating!" I doubled over and wiggled my fingers, and he ran off with a squeal of laughter. I followed him to the galley, and scooped him up and held him upside down. I tickled his sides again and he laughed and kicked, making me laugh with him.

We've spent a month here in the vortex, resting and hanging out, getting to know Alex and Jenny. Cauden has attached himself to Dean, much like Ronnie and I had in the first place. Even Jesse likes to teach him things, mostly funny little tricks like touching his tongue to his nose. None of us want to seperate from him, but a life on the TARDIS is not the best one for a small child.

"No, mummy! Stop!" the boy laughed, and I lowered him to the ground as Cauden made himself known.

"Hey," I smiled at him, and he picked up Dean before coming over and kissing me.

"Hey, doing okay?" he asked softly, and Dean lay his head down.

"Yea," I took a deep breath, and put my head on Cauden's other shoulder. "We're on Kodomo?"

"Yea," he nodded, wrapping his arm around me.

"Let's get this over with, then." I pushed back my tears and smiles at them. I pulled away and walked to the console, and Dean ended up walking next to me. Once we got there, everyone else was already waiting. Ronnie and Jesse stood near the console itself, Calico and Kourtland stood with Alexandria by the jumpseat. My mum and Jenny met us at the doorway, and my dad stood by the door with his hands in his pockets.

We filed out of the TARDIS and into the common room of the place I spent my childhood. I held onto Dean's hand, Ronnie holding his other one. Cauden wrapped his arm around my waist, and Jesse held Ronnie's other hand. The five of us walked up to Caith, who stood next to a bookshelf. I opened my mouth to speak, only to find that I didn't trust my voice.

"Hello, Caith." Cauden spoke for me, and I threw him a grateful smile.

"Cauden! What are you doing here?" the woman smiled, looking at us all.

"This is Dean. He would like to stay here, grow up a semi-normal way." Cauden nodded to the toddler clinging to Ronnie's and my hands.

"Of course! Come and get everything signed," she gestured for us to follow.

"Jess and I'll go sign stuff." Cauden kissed my head, kissed Dean's head, and followed after Caith, Jesse behind him.

I knelt down in front of Dwan and clutched onto the coveralls he wore. "Now you listen to me, yea? Be a good boy, and do as Caith says. Listen to your teachers, and always be nice to others."

"I will, Mummy." he nodded his blonde head.

Ronnie knelt down next to me, holding onto the boy's shoulder. "We'll come visit when we can, okay?" Dean nodded. "Study hard."

I pulled Dean to me, hugging him tightly. "I love you so much. You grow up good, you hear me?" I kissed his cheek and stood up, letting Ronnie hug him as well. The other two came back, and they hugged him as well. I went to Caith and she took my hands in hers. "Look after him? And don't let him forget us."

"Of course," she smiled and squeezed my hands.

I nodded and turned to back into the TARDIS, leaning in the doorway. Dean took Caith's offered hand and waved at us before being led away. I went inside and pushed passed everyone. I went to my room, busting inside right before I broke down. A second later, I felt my mother's arms around me, and my sister's as well. They didn't say anything, they just held me on the floor while I sobbed.

}{

"Feeling better?" Cauden asked me as I left the bathroom. I had taken a long hot shower, washing away the midevil grime that had clung to my skin.

"Yea." I smiled, and climbed onto my bed. "Don't you have your own bed?" I nudged his side.

"I like yours better," he smirked, pulling me to him and snogging me propper like. "Are you sure about staying in Cardiff?"

I nodded, sniffing. After lots of thinking and talking, my friends and I decided we wanted a break from space. Just a break, long enough to catch our breaths. Jack had offered us all temporary jobs at Torchwood, and we had decided to take him up on it. "Yes. I just need to breathe for a bit," I smiled.

"Okay," he pulled me into his chest, kissing my head. "Then, we'll visit Dean when we get back into space."

I nodded, snuggling into him while I trailed my fingers over his chest, tracing his name in circular gallifreyan. "Yes, we will."