1:6 Dead People

Part One: The Dead Rise

Chapter Six: Dead People

"Adrian! Come on, wake up!" I heard a Scottish accent, and felt fingers caress my cheeks. I managed to open my eyes, looking directly into a pair of concerned green eyes, framed by soft red hair. "Oh thank God!" Amy pulled me up and hugged me tightly.

"She's okay?" I was pulled away and immediately in my mother's arms. "Was that a flashback? You tried to remember something, right?"

I nodded, as much as I could and clutched onto her. "It hurt so bad... mum..." I buried my face in her neck.

"What did you remember? Can you tell us?" I opened my eyes to see my father, looking really worried.

"Um, yeah. I think it was when you first started wearing bow-ties." I blinked and pulled away from my mother. "There were aliens, with giant eyes. And and, dad used grandpa's phone... to call-"

"-them back, yes. That was awhile ago..." Rory was standing next to Amy, his arm around her waist.

I focused on breathing, trying to relax my grip on my mother's jacket. It wasn't working so well. I looked around and found my new friends all staring at me. "I- I'm sorry." My cheeks got warm and I looked down.

"Hey, don't apologize!" I looked up to see Cauden looking down at me, his brown eyes soft. "You got a memory back, right? Even if it wasn't major, you still got it back." I looked down again, or would have if he hadn't taken my chin in his hand.

"Yeah. But I was embarrassing..." I licked my lips as my blush deepened. I continued looking onto his eyes, almost getting lost in their depths.

"It's alright. You sounded like you were in a lot of pain." Cali was suddenly next to me, rubbing my arm.

"Uh-oh."  I spun my head around to look at my father, eyes wide. "Your scream attracted some uh, unwelcome visitors..."

This time, when I tried, I finally succeeded in letting go of my mums jacket. I pulled away from everybody and sprinted outside.

"Carry? What are you doing?" Kourtland reached for a woman who was standing in the street. Her skin was pale, almost blue. A white,misty substance drifted onto the air from her parted lips.

"No! Don't touch her!" I screamed it, not meaning to.

"I- I think She's dead!" Cali sputtered, pulling Kourtland back.

"Quite right. Well, she thinks she's dead." The Doctor scanned her with his sonic, his eyebrows wrinkled. "So her body is acting like she is. But she's not."

"What... They're all..." I couldn't catch my breath, suddenly, and I backed up. I looked away from Carry, seeing another abnormally parents person. Dead. I looked elsewhere, and found another. Dead. And another, and another, and another, all dead! My eyes watered, and I felt a sob coming on. And I turned and took off, going anywhere but here.

Dead people. Everywhere I looked there were dead people. Their pale blue-ish skin almost glowed in the light, their eyes cast in deep shadows. Their movements were stiff, muscles twitching and moving their limbs at random times.

This was not normal. I was freaking out, sobbing uncontrollably while trying to run. Which was difficult. My vision was blurred and I was out of breath. After running for a minute, I felt an iron grip on my wrist. I blinked enough tears away to catch sight of a tweed jacket and floppy brown hair.

"Keep up, Adrian!" His English accent barely reached my ears as we ran as fast as he was going. "We need to get to the TARDIS to find that particle de-something-or-other!"

I wasn't able to answer back, but my mother cut in. "I can't believe you lost it! I told you to put it where you could find it!"

"Not yet you haven't!" Dad snapped his fingers as we neared the TARDIS and we all piled in.

I wiped my face and looked around. "Dad! What does this... thing look like?"

"It's this big... Orange-ish in colour..." he moved his hands around while he searched around the console.

"Ah! Here it is! Good!" My mum held up a small orange thing and ran back outside. "This should shut this thing down..." she knelt in front of the contraption of levers and plugged the thing into it.

"Wait! It's not going to kill them, right?" The Doctor knelt next to mum, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"No! Of course not! It's going to separate them from these innocent people, and send them back to where ever they came from..." she fiddled with both devices. "Hopefully..."

I stepped back and looked around. My friends were scattered about, chatting amongst themselves. They kept moving around, trying to stay away from the dead people. The dead people moved very slowly, as though they were mostly frozen.

"What is all this? I came here to visit my cousins, and the dead start walking?" Jesse was pacing around, Ronnie at his heels.

I smiled, feeling ironic. "Be thankful the Doctor is here. And my mum. They'll figure it out."

"So you feel better, then? About... everything?" Ronnie stuck his thumbs in his belt loops and smiled.

I nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for listening to my blubbering."

Ronnie grinned and set his hand on my head. "Anytime, short stuff." He put his arm around my shoulder and hugged me... sort of. I turned and threw my arms around him and squeezed.

I pulled away and smiled at him before going and standing by my grandparents. "Is it working?" I looked around and saw that the dead people were staggering.

"I can't tell. You really okay?" Amy took hold of a lock of my hair, fiddling with it.

"Yeah. It was just a headache." I tried to brush it off.

"A headache that made you pass out." Rory crossed his arms, frowning.

"Yeah. It's not my first one. I got them all the time after I woke up in that hospital." I looked down at my boots and fiddled with my jacket.

None of us were paying attention to our surroundings, so we didn't see it before it was too late...

One of the dead people had wandered too close, brushing past me. It was a girl, around my own age. Her hand touched mine, and I had time to observe that her skin was icy cold before once more, darkness invaded my senses.

~pic is Jesse Cole, courtesy of my friend AidenCliff XD