Chapter 33: Pitiful Defence

07/02/4014 AD – 21:45 – Warturf – Psykhodark H.Q. – Southern Defences

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

A barrage of artillery missiles crashed into the first set of buildings enroute to the main headquarters of the Psykhodarks; their soldiers were powerless compared to these strikes. This colony of small, cube-shaped concrete bunkers were meant to stop incoming assaults from the southern regions of Sequarna. Flak guns fired indiscriminately into the air whilst Psykhodark troopers attempted to take more precise shots at the enemy aircraft. There were even some Sudagrowler tanks that had been bought from the A.E.R.; hardly worthwhile as Dracolast, now back in his original Dragoon-themed loadout, easily dispatched of them with his high-powered energy cannons.

Meanwhile, on the defence outpost to the north, Alexis tore through the shields of many enemy soldiers, killing them without the slightest hint of mercy. The last soldier fell with three direct headshots from her IHPRA. She looked to the dark skies, the only thing noticeable being the even darker clouds and the brutally heavy rain. Neither of these things bothered the heir to the Destiny Weapon Complex. The rain drenched her golden hair and water splashed all over her pale skin. Her eyes were remaining red for longer periods of time now; her hair was even looking a bit more black, probably due to the before-mentioned rain... right?

The young woman stomped on the corpse of a jet trooper, laughing hysterically, "Imma have to thank my dear Millenicel: this really is the best birthday present a girl could ask for!"

Two hours and fifteen minutes until Alexis's eighteenth birthday.

At the western defences, Anmarina hovered next to a Carazstar, "Commence Operation: It's Dark Out!"

"Yes, ma'am!" came a series of enthusiastic replies as Gravity Bombers launched from the adjacent hanger. Payloads upon payloads of explosives were dropped all over the west base. Some Psykhodarks attempted to shield up, but it was useless compared to the sheer number of bombs. Anmarina spied a platoon of soldiers emerge from the underground section of the outpost, each of them carrying a HYECL rocket launcher. The powerful High-Yield Explosive Canister Launcher (Haicel) was a box-shaped launcher that fired cylindrical, flat-head missiles that jetted forward at extremely high speeds. When the trigger was pulled, the metal spires that locked the missile in place were release and swung around to hit the igniter on the back of the warhead. If aimed correctly, these heavy missiles wouldn't even need a lock-on to ensure a hit. It was a cheap piece of gear and was a staple in both the Ultrayan Alliance and the Anti-Earth Rebellion. The soldiers wielding these mighty cannons took aim at the Grav Bombers.

"Oh no you don't!" Anmarina activated her hydro blades and charged towards the group. Some missiles were fired but two of the soldiers were startled by the Angel's shout. They fired at Anmarina, but she sliced each projectile in half, only taking minimal damage from the following explosions. She landed before the group and thrust both her arms forwards into the chests of her enemies. Their visor's turn off, marking the destruction of their cores and the first of many kills for Anmarina's new technique. Without wasting any time, she cut down the remaining soldiers in her area.

Finally, the eastern defences: Millenicel and Olicleaver were dealing with that. Effortlessly. Olicleaver was on foot for once and was combining sword swings with short bursts of his SRTRF (Short-Range, Twin Rapid Fire) also known as the 'Wing-Shredder'. Unlike most weapons in the Ultraya System, this sub-machine gun went by the name given to it by its creator as opposed to the normal sounding-out of the weapon code. The Wing-Shredder fired weak bullets at a blistering rate which took advantage of an exploit of an Angel's wings as well as the Wyperian's spherical shield. Damaging wings transfers the damage to that Angel's health and outputting a lot of hits to one area of a shield will drastically reduce its fragile durability. Olicleaver's job was to smash up the enemy's shields, then Millenicel would rain down fire with his gun-type P.C.U.s and Angelic Cannon. The Angel of Psyka hated having to kill his former comrades, but he knew the undying loyalty of the Psykhodarks better than anyone: they wouldn't give up until their current leader, Veilure, surrenders or, most likely, dies. And just like that, the eastern outpost fell.

"All defences are down!" Millenicel was difficult to hear over the thundering storm. "Move onto the next section!" 'Then after that, the only thing that remains is the headquarters'.

07/02/4014 AD – 21:58 – Warturf – Shorophrou Port – Frontal Defences

Ten beams from ten psyka pillar units blasted open the rooftops of small brick bunkers. A few seconds go by, and the pillars fire another beam in the same spot. The bunkers burst into flames only to be instantly put out by the harsh tempest. Relical hovered over the battlefield, looking at the scattered corpses of fallen Wyperians. 'They would be wise to stand down'. More soldiers came out of the bunkers and started firing at the ex-Ayratulia. 'But if they were wise, they wouldn't have joined the A.E.R. in the first place', Relical killed them all with another wave of beams. He looked over to his right: a plethora of shells from a Terradeath decimated more bunkers from above. He looked to his left: a Tri-Carazstar obliterated more bunkers with a single blast of its Turi Cannon. A squadron of Duacrits charged at the Terradeath. Unfortunately for them, Alpha and Fated descended from the clouds in a surprise defence. Alpha jumped onto the cockpits and pumped the pilot full of bullets whilst Fated shot others down with his Hyloe.

The three Spaciairrers of Team B were high above the storming clouds. Jonathon was on the bridge, laughing like a mad man.

"Phase One went off perfectly, move onto Phase Two: White Ravens and Terradeath Two, launch! Our target is the enemy Shutenghen above Shorophrou. Focus on the left one!" he grinned. 'I know that my forces could dispatch both of those ships, but I REALLY don't want to ruin Millenicel's plan', he thought. 'A surprise assault in the middle of the night; something kept even from Team B. Most of our forces would have been preparing for bed, I wonder how long they can stay standing'.

"We've smashed right through the A.E.R.'s lacklustre defence! Assault the main ports!" came some random chatter from Officers on the communications.

"Yeah! The war ends today!"

"Let's destroy these pests once and for all!"

'Though I suppose you already thought of that didn't you, Millenicel? That little display of power and that speech of yours really got the people excited. The A.E.R. is completely demoralized whereas our soldiers will fight tooth and nail. But I wonder... can we really win this war today?' Jonathon thought as he watched his fighters take off.

A soldier walked onto the bridge, "Sir, our little gift is ready to deploy!"

"Good work; transfer control to Crystrx as planned", came the reply.

"I'm surprised you are okay with this, Sir".

"Well, I just really want to see the outcome of this plan; I will follow it to the letter".