Chapter 63: Dire Consequences

08/02/4014 AD – 19:50 – Lavamelt – Nuclear Wasteland

"HWARRRRRRRRRRK!!!!!!!"

Kira looked around for the source of a seemingly-random squawk that came out of nowhere. She turned back to see if anyone else had noticed, but there was a more pressing matter being discussed.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!" Alexis slammed Jonathon into the rocky wall of the crevice; her eyes were burning red and her hair was its natural gold. Kira and Millenicel couldn't even speak as they looked around them. The untouched crevice was the only thing that was still recognisable; everything else had been obliterated. The rocky ground that led to the A.E.R. Headquarters was now a singular scorched trench that led to nothing but a huge crater that was beginning to flood with lava that was flowing down from what little remained of Mount Avilasa.

"Oh come on, dear Lexi", Jonathon laughed. "We just won the war! Flaymaclaze just ordered his troops to attack us; the nuke protected us".

"You know full well that they wouldn't have attacked!" Alexis grabbed the chest plate of the Drive A.M.R. and used it to hold up its owner. "Flaymaclaze was all but useless! And even if the A.E.R. had attacked, you still shouldn't have ordered a nuclear strike!"

"Sis... what's a 'nuke'?" Kira asked.

"It's a forbidden weapon of mass destruction!" Alexis spat. "What I want to know, is how the hell you even knew about it! After a certain event in the thirty-second century, Humanity decided to abandon all knowledge on how to even construct and utilize nuclear energy! And when we moved to Ultraya, historians around the globe felt like it was better for everyone if all knowledge on nuclear weapons was tossed out entirely!"

Jonathon broke free, "Oh yeah? Then how do you know so much?!"

"My family comes from a long line of weapon specialists!" Alexis snapped. "You could say that preventing anyone from discovering nuclear technology was a hidden part of our job!"

"Alexis, what was this event?" Millenicel asked.

Alexis calmed down somewhat, "In our old solar system, there were nine planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, all colonised".

"Pluto wasn't a planet, heck it wasn't even there anymore", Jonathon smirked.

"Shut up!" Alexis aimed a Moirai at Jonathon. "Mine and that twit's comments there showed a common problem within the system; many people debated whether or not Pluto should be classified as a planet or not".

"Why?" Millenicel asked.

"Several reasons, none of which are important right now. Whether or not it could be classed as a planet or not led to several debates that occurred every few months", Alexis explained.

"But Pluto was destroyed, wasn't it?" Kira put her finger on her lip as she tried to recall what she had learnt. "I am a huge fan of history, and I enjoyed reading books whilst we waited for our assassination targets to appear".

Alexis raised an eyebrow at Kira before shaking her head and getting back on track, "So Kira, as you're such a fan, what destroyed Pluto?"

"I dunno", she shrugged. "It never said, only that it was blown up in some kind of war".

"Not a war... in 3198 AD Pluto was destroyed because some terrorists got sick of everyone debating whether Pluto was a planet or not", Alexis shivered. "The terrorists had been slowly building up a nuclear arsenal over decades, then they decided to bombard the planet with hundreds of nukes. It was only a small planet; it couldn't withstand the force of those blasts!"