Chapter 52: Sudden Emergency

08/02/4014 AD – 15:18 – Lavamelt – Orbit – Shutenghen – Bridge

"Well there is your final confirmation", Elimiphlaren pointed far off into the distance; an enormous Alliance fleet was approaching. He and Flaymaclaze were standing on the bridge of a Shutenghen in the centre of a fleet of ten. Both were in their Wyperian forms, and neither were inspiring confidence in their loyal soldiers. The Shutenghen in the front of the fleet had been evacuated; a decoy in an attempt to bait out the Miracle Spear's, or at least the Turi Cannon's, first blast.

"You realise we have no chance in winning this fight, right?" Elimiphlaren asked the risky question in front of the ten crew members in the room.

"I know", Flaymaclaze opened an A.E.R.-wide communications line. "Elimiphlaren has made a good point; there is very little chance of success. Our enemies now have possession of the Lyshaspeare and its weaponry; the Psykhos have turned their backs on us as well. Anyone that wishes to leave and return to the surface shall NOT be punished". Flaymaclaze stood up straight and his voice became a lot sturdier. "But I shall not flee! If they get past us here, their next target will be our headquarters which they will probably just bomb from orbit. These people have no honour, and I refuse to risk the lives of everyone working down on the planet!" Elimiphlaren looked at Flaymaclaze in confusion; he couldn't tell whether or not that speech was genuine, or just a guilt trip.

08/02/4014 AD – 15:19 – Lavamelt – Orbit – Lyshaspeare – Bridge

Across a mile or two of space, Staruthia stood on the bridge of the Lyshaspeare. She was tired and depressed; the events from last night naturally guaranteed her that she wouldn't get a wink of sleep even if she had tried. That was why she hadn't left her metal form since she destroyed the Fatal Holiday, she didn't want anyone to see the state of her drained face.

"We'll be in range soon, Ma'am", someone else on the bridge informed; Staruthia didn't care who said what anymore. All she could do was stare at the death trigger. She wanted so badly to pick it up and skewer the A.E.R. ships with a blade of light. But she knew she couldn't; they had to rescue Alexis first. But not for the blonde's sake; quite frankly, Staruthia couldn't give a damn about her at the moment. The only reason she didn't want to obliterate the A.E.R. immediately is because of the young redhead. Sure, the girl's files checked out: no civilian targets killed that weren't objectively corrupt but becoming a killer at the age of four has got to do something to your psyche. The Miracle Spear is out, but the Saberail Cannons should offer no complaint from the rescue team.

"Enemy Shutenghens are deployed in a diamond formation", one of the bridge officers called out.

"Charge Saberails", Staruthia ordered. "Fire one round at second row of ships. The third row shall be overwhelmed by our strike force; you hear that Olicleaver? Escort the rescue team into the Shutenghens, clear them out and then send them to hell. After the rescue team clears out the first Shutenghen, we'll spear it!"

08/02/4014 AD – 15:20 – Lavamelt – Orbit – Psykhodark Carazstar – Hangar

In the hangar of the Psykhodark Carazstar, Kira was hanging over the railing, watching soldiers being loaded onto a Heygrasault. She was wearing a shiny new Soldier A.M.R. that was equipped with special modifications. This modded version had been dubbed the Unknown Soldier A.M.R., in reference to the assassin's background; Millenicel had hoped the direct, on-the-nose naming would frustrate Staruthia into recruiting Kira for real. The A.M.R. had a panel on the back that had the same three tele-mag generators for her missile spears but with an alteration: the otherwise diagonal slots could turn to an upright position. This would restrict Kira to only one missile spear at a time but grant her the ability to deploy her wings without destroying the device. Like the regular Soldier A.M.R., the Unknown version came with a Wyperian assault belt but unlike the regular gear, it had a shotgun and a Moirai attached to it. The shotgun's code was 'SRAMC', it stood for 'Short-Range Anti-Material Claw'. It had a long, blocky barrel, the end of which carried the weapon's namesake: a three-clawed hand that could pierce through the toughest of surfaces. The idea behind it was a brutal one: the end of the assassin's barrel was literally shoved into the enemy's chest, if they didn't obey, Kira wouldn't miss. This shotgun was a pump action; an incredibly popular choice in the forty-first century as tele-mag could load individual shells with each pump. Finally, Kira had kept her old mask as it was still more advanced than the Human Visor System.