Chapter~Five

Here I stand, in front of a purple box of pregnancy tests at the nearest CVS. Is it me or does this whole scenario just sound crazy?

I had ignored all of Chris' attempts to talk to me in sixth hour. I felt bad for doing it, but with him having a girlfriend and me possibly being pregnant, I just couldn't bring myself to talk to him.

So, like I said, here I stand in front of a shelf full of purple boxes of pregnancy tests. I've reached for them about fifty times, but each time I would withdraw my hand.

You can do this, Caira. I try to push myself. You need to do this.

Dammit, why couldn't I remember if I took a pill that day or not? I've never missed a day, well, at least I thought I never missed a day.

Finally, mustering up the all the confidence I have, I reach for a box and grasp the corners between my fingers and Palm. Without thinking to much I hurry to the cashier.

"Will this be all?" The young boy asks. He's about my age with chestnut colored hair that sweeps over his forehead, and dark brown eyes. He also has a few freckles speckled across his cheeks. Well, this is awkward.

"Yes," I say and avert my eyes elsewhere. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I could or couldn't be pregnant.

"Your total today is four dollars and fifty cents," the boy tells me and I grab a five out of my wallet and pass it to him. "Your change is fifty cents, have a nice day."

"Thank you," I say a bit shakily, he gives me a small smile before I scurry out of the store.

Once I get in my car I sit there, looking out the windshield then at the box of tests. What would my parents think? Would they disown me? I'm getting ahead of myself, I don't even know if I'm pregnant. For all I know, it could just be the start of a flu.

The rain pours down on my car as I drive through the streets of our city, the black top glistening from the pool of rain. I turn on the radio to set my mind at ease for fifteen minutes until I get home. The song 'In The Moment' by Blaq Tuxedo comes on. In any other moment, I would've loved this song, but right now, it's just majorly depressing.

Pulling into my driveway I notice neither of my parents cars are in the driveway, which is a good thing, the last thing I need my mom to do is pester me.

Rushing up to the bathroom upstairs I take the box of tests out of my bag and stare at them. For a while, I just stare at them. There's a feeling in my stomach that has me wishing I never got myself into this mess. That I never had sex to begin with, if I hadn't I wouldn't be in this situation.

Tearing open the package I pull out the test that's wrapped promptly in plastic and tear that open as well. To me it just looks like a white plastic stick, there's a thicker piece where your supposed to hold it, there's a circle in the middle that I'm guessing is where you get your results. Then, sticking out of the barrel of the test is a thin strip, which I'm also assuming is to test.

Reading and re-reading the directions given, I follow them as perfectly instructed. Mostly, and simply they're trying to say you need to pee on the strip.

Five minutes later I'm wringing my fingers together, pacing back and forth in the bathroom. The test beeps and my whole body freezes. This is it, this is where I find out if I am or am not pregnant. Slowly inching closer and closer to the sink where the test is placed, I become wobbly.

I grip the edges of the granite counter top, as my eyes catch the faint pink symbol. A strangled sob escapes my mouth and I slump to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest, balling.

Hot, salty tears slide down my cheeks and onto my lips.

This can't be happening to me. The goody-too-shoes girl that no one would ever expect to have even had sex.

There has to be some mistake. This just can't be my fate. Grabbing my cellphone off of the floor I dial the number that will determine if this is real or not.

"Hello, yes, I would like to schedule an appointment."

                       ***
"Caira? Are you alright? You haven't been acting like yourself all day," Kinley asks, looking generally concerned. No, I haven't told any of my friends about the whole pregnancy thing. I don't plan on it either until my appointment after school.

Two weeks ago, when I saw that plus sign, I couldn't believe my eyes. I made an appointment for the earliest date they had, which so happened to be two weeks later.

Chris has tried talking to me, calling me, texting me, and on top of that, daily visits that he never got access to. I know what he's thinking, that I'm mad about him about getting a girlfriend. If only it was that simple. It's not even that I'm mad at him for getting me pregnant. I brought it upon myself for not taking that damn pill. But you have to wonder what you would do if you found out that your best friend got you pregnant and has a girlfriend.

"Just tired," I shrug it off. If only it was restlessness. I've been waking up every day this week with my head in the toilet. It's only gotten worse from there. I've been telling my mom that it's just food poisoning.

"Are you sure? You've been this way for a while," Jessica pipes in with food in her mouth, the usual. The image alone makes me want to throw up. That's funny, usually it doesn't bother me.

"Yes, I'm sure. And can you please not talk with you mouth full, Jess?" I question, a bit snappily. Both their eyes widen.

"Sorry," Jess mutters sadly. Damn, stupid hormones.

"No, I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong," I lie, well it's only partially a lie. I run my fingers through my hair and look around the lunch room until my eyes land on Chris staring at me. His piercing green eyes burning holes through my blue ones. I quickly look away. Lord, please let this day be over. I pray.

After school is out for the day I quickly grab my stuff from my locker, I'm trying to get out of the school as fast as I can so I don't run into anybody. Unfortunately, luck doesn't seem to be on my side today, or at all for the matter. I slam into a really hard chest and when I look up I immediately wish the ground would just open up and swallow me.

Chris looks angry, no, pissed. "Want to tell me why you've been avoiding me?"

"Chris, I really don't have time for this," I say apologetically and begin to walk to my car, Chris still trying to catch up to me.

"Did I do something? Is this about Tiffany?" He asks, I turn around to be met with his hurt filled eyes. I feel my heart break even more. If only I could just tell him, but what would he say?

"No, you didn't do anything," I tell him, the only thing is he didn't do anything, yet. That all depends on this doctors appointment. I know, I know, the test already told me I was, but I don't believe it. Not without professional approval first.

"Obviously I did, if you're avoiding me," he scoffs.

"No, it's not you its me-"

"It's not you its me, right?"

"Chris-" I'm again cut off, how rude can he be?

"How original, really Caira? Is that the best you can do?"

"Unfortunately, yes," I quickly say before escaping into my car and driving off. I look through my rearview mirror at the saddest and most hurt facial expression I've ever seen on Chris before.

What have I gotten us into?
_______________

Yess!! Another chapter is finished. How do you feel about the whole Chris thing?

Thank you for all of your reads, it means a lot to me. Keep it up with those votes and comments.

Enjoy.

Like and comment :)