Chapter~Twenty Three

I tip toe down the steps, trying to be as quiet as I can so I won't wake anyone up. That would be bad.

As I make it to the end of the landing, the floor creeks and the living room light turns on.

My heart stops. I feel all the blood drain from my face as my dad turns around in his recliner, a scowl on his face.

"Dad," I breath, feeling like I'm going to faint any second.

"Going somewhere?" He asks.

Shit.

"I-I-I'm not sure," I sigh and hang my head.

I've already been caught, there's nothing saving me now.

"Take a seat, Caira," he demands and points to the couch. I do as I'm told not about to get in even more trouble.

I take a seat on the couch and twiddle with my thumbs not being able to meet my dads eyes.

"Let's try this again, where were you off to at this hour?" He asks a little more sternly this time.

There's really no point in lying.

"Chris's," I admit, not regretting it. Chris is and will always be my best friend, if we're more than that's great, but I will always need him.

"I already told you you're not allowed to see him," my dad states angrily.

I disobeyed him, of course he'll be angry. I've come to terms with the fact that my dads not like who he tries to be, this isn't the real him.

"Come on dad, we both know what you're doing. You're afraid that Chris will turn out like you," I scoff with the roll of my eyes.

"What?"

"Mom told me about when you got her pregnant, I was kind of surprised really, but now I'm not so sure. Who are you really dad?" I shake my head, tears welling up in my eyes.

"I'm doing this to protect you," he says softly.

"It's not helping, it's making it worse! By you doing this I'll end up just like Mom did," I state.

"I'm not proud of what happened to your mom, I've never forgiven myself for that," his voice cracks.

I've never seen my dad cry before, not when his grandma that was like his mom passed away, not when we were born, never.

"It wasn't all your fault dad, it was everything adding up. And if things keep going like this it might be to much for me to handle also," I say.

I could never kill my baby. Adoption is an option, though. I haven't put to much thought into it considering I'm only two months into pregnancy, but it's definitely an option.

"If Chris decides that he's not ready to he a father than that can be to much for you to handle!"

He has a good point, I won't lie, but if things come to that than I'll figure it out when we get there.

"I want to try and he does to. Can't you just let me try?" I ask, my voice shaky.

He stares at me, wide eyed and mouth opening and closing as if he'll say something.

I can't stand that my dad is mad at me and I want to find a compromise. Something I can lean back on if things do turn out wrong.