Chapter~Twenty Seven

Good feelings gone.

I immediately turn around and face the counter, pressing my hands to the cool granite and try to calm myself.

Stress isn't good for the baby, Caira. Calm down. Stress isn't good for the baby.

I close my eyes and try to slow my breathing.

A hand places itself on my shoulder and my heart jolts in my chest. My eyes pop open and I turn around to face the person.

"Sorry, did I scare you?" Brody asks, removing his hand.

I place my hand to my forehead and shake my head.

"No you're okay, I just-there's someone here that I was trying to get away from," I smile slightly

"Oh, alright. You sure you okay?" He asks, he still looks slightly concerned and I grin to remove the nerves from him.

I've only just met the guy and he already is worried about me. Damn.

"I'm fine. Thank you," I say grateful and suddenly feel the fun vibe drip out of my body. "It was nice talking to you, but I think I'm going to go find my friends."

"Would you like me to come?" He scratches the back of his neck nervously and I slightly smile at his adorableness.

"That would be great," I sigh in gratitude.

He grins, showing off his pearly whites and we walk towards the exit of the kitchen.

The living room is so crowded with dancing bodies there's no way I'll be able to find my friends and brothers.

"Let's go this way," Brody points. "We might be able to see better."

I nod in agreement and start to follow him.

"Caira?" A hand grabs my wrist and I'm spun around into his chest.

My eyes widen and my heart begins to beat faster.

"What are you doing here?" He asks baffled.

"Is there a problem here?" Brody's deep voice penetrates our tense stare off.

"Who are you?" Chris growls.

"Her friend," Brody clenches his jaw when he looks down at Chris' hand on my wrist. "Let her go."

"Who are you to tell me-"

"Let her go." All of a sudden Jared appears, his eye glaring daggers at Chris.

With jaw clenched, he releases my wrist, but doesn't move an inch.

I stare at Chris in disbelief. He's so different. He's not the same person, he looks different even.

"Are you high?" I ask, my chest tightening as he looks at me with glossed over eyes that have red around the cornea. "Who are you?"

He cackles evilly and Grayson grabs me by the bicep to pull me towards him and away from the freak.

"Does it look like I'm high, baby?" Yeah.

"Don't ever come near me again," I seethe.

I'd rather my child have no father than a drunk or druggie.

"I thought you needed me," he mocks.

"Not like this," I shake my head. "I don't know who you are anymore."

It's sad really. How down hill Chris has gone.

"You know exactly who I am, Caira. You're in denial. You knew who I was from the start," he rolls his red eyes.