TIME WILL TELL

The coffee shop was outside the campus. Joan ordered the coffee as we got there. The barista soon brought our coffee to where we were seated. I took a sip from the cup of cappuccino coffee she had ordered for me, she got the same for herself too.
"So what do you think?"
She asked curiously about the coffee
"This is really nice" I commented
"Believe me when I tell you, you can't get a better one around here" she said with a proud smile. I nodded back in approval
"You are in your final year, why are you retaking the course?" I asked
"I had a minor accident last year and had to stay in the hospital for a few days. It was around exam period and my last paper before the accident. I missed the exam and all effort to get the then professor to give me a remake exam proved abortive. He insisted I took the course again so here I am!"
"Oh I'm sorry about that, shouldn't have asked"
"No, it's okay. At least I can still do it while I'm still in school. I don't have an extra year because of it so it's fine."
"I'm glad you are seeing this in a good light. I hope I'm not taking much of your time. I actually don't have any classes again for today so if you need to be excused please let me know"
"Of course not, I asked you out so you don't have to worry about that. I'm also free for the rest of today. Hmmm, how about we continue our tour where we stopped the last time?"
"Sure!"
We got out of the coffee shop, heading back to campus. The coffee shop was at the entrance of the main gate. We walked back inside as we kept talking.
"Soooo,asides teaching what else do you do Professor. Like for fun"
"I sell drugs!" I replied, she burst into laughter.
"I didn't know you had such sense of humor Professor" she said still laughing
"What about you Miss Joan. What do you do asides school work"
"Hmm I have quite a lot of hobbies. But I love flowers, so most times when I'm not busy I visit the flower shop owned by a family friend, I love arranging them.Gives me a special kind of satisfaction "
"Which is your favorite?"
"Gladiolus. It means strength of character,sincerity and generosity "
"Is there a special reason why it's your favorite?"
"I feel like it describes me perfectly. People always tell me I'm strong headed. But I just think I have a strong personality of someone who likes to speak her mind out of sincerity. And of course I'm generous. I just proved that by bringing you out for coffee. You would still be stuck in your office if not for me"
"Ah, I see the strong personality. But I'm not so sure about the generous part" I said teasingly
"That's not fair Professor." She protested
"I'm just kidding, I appreciate the generosity Miss Joan"
"You are welcome Professor Jones"
A call came in from Greg. He was around to pick me up.
"I'm not done yet with today's work. How about you come back in an hour"
"Do you have extra classes sir?" He asked over the phone
"No, it's a personal business"
"Okay boss, I'll call you in an hour to confirm"
"You seem to have another business asides teaching. You were in a hurry the other day too" Joan said
"I see you are very observant, just some little businesses here and there"
"Ahh, I see you are not like the other professors who spend their leisure time in their study or research labs"
"It doesn't hurt to be a little different does it? I've heard so much about the school museum. Can you take me there?"
"You are just with the right person for that. Let's go!"
I spent the next hour with Joan. We went to the school museum and had a little chat before parting ways. It felt different, it felt intimate. It was the first time I had a real conversation and meeting with someone without mentioning deals or supplies, it felt like I was let loose from an old cage. I didn't know what the whole feeling was but I wanted more of it.
Greg was waiting at the usual spot with the car.
"Did you take care of your business sir?"
"Yes I did" I said with a smile
"You seem to be in a good mood. Let me guess, the business was with the female student?" Greg teased subtly
"Her name is Joan, and yes the business was with her. But when did you become so nosy Greg?" I said jokingly
"My apologies boss"
We both smiled at each other.
"With Marvin absent, I think it's high time we replaced him sir"
And that was it, I was back to my reality again. To the world I chose for myself. Joan was like a comic relief in my boring tragic life.
"Do you have anyone in mind?" I replied
"I'm thinking one of the boys at the factory"
"He can only handle the club's affairs. We still need someone to handle Marvin's clients. You can share them among the three underbosses"
"Yes boss."
"Have you gotten any more information from Marvin?"
"Not yet boss. He's still holding up"
"Keep torturing him. We need to know how far he went with the pirate boss. He might have traded my identity with something and probably waiting for them to save him. Make sure the boys are on guard at the warehouse 24/7"
"Got it boss"
A call came in, it was an unknown number, I picked the call without saying anything.
"Professor Jones?" A female voice sounded over the phone
"It's me, Joan" she said again
"Joan? How did you get my number?"
"Oh my God, it's your first time of calling me by my name without adding the Miss"
"My bad,I'm sorry about that"
"No, I actually prefer it this way. Just call me Joan sir"
"Okay Joan, hope there isn't any problem?"
"No sir, just wanted to ask if you got home safely"
"I'm still on my way. Still surprised how you got my number"
"I have my ways, let's just say it's my little secret" she said as she giggled, I smiled too. Greg gave a teasing look from the front mirror
"I see you have many little secrets"
"So you are not home yet, out on your little businesses already?"
"Hmm, something like that?"
"I should have charged you for the tour. I didn't want to charge a professor who only got monthly salary from the school"
"Are you looking down on your Professors?"
"Can I still charge you Mr Professor?"
"Sorry, maybe some other time, too late now"
"I'll try my luck some other time then. Let me leave you to your business. Enjoy the rest of your evening sir"
"You too Joan"
I dropped the call. Greg's eyes stared from the mirror with a mischievous smile
"Spill it already" I said as I stared back at him with a straight face
"I've never seen you like this with anyone especially women. You try to avoid them as much as you can. You wouldn't even let us do business with them at some point"
"Get to the point will you?"
"Well, I just think she's got you good this time"
"Joan is just a lively student. I admire her boldness. That's all"
"I don't think that's all sir. I think you like her"
"Yes I do, as my student" I replied
"No,as a woman" Greg argued
"You don't know what you talking about" I answered as I avoided his eyes
"Time will tell if I do or not"