THE COLUMBARIUM

"Rose, we are here. It's been a while, I brought you gladiolus . It used to be our favorite" Joan said as she gently dropped Willow in front of her.

"Meet Willow your goddaughter. We should have come sooner, look how well she's grown. I miss you everyday Rose. Wish you were still here with me. Me, you and Willow, we would have been so happy together. I know this is selfish of me to say but I miss him Rose, I still think about him, I just wish things had turned out differently for us all" Joan said as she broke into tears

Greg drove like a crazy person as he thought of so many ways to stop Kelvin from meeting Joan. He picked up his phone to call Kelvin

"Boss?"

"Greg, any problem?

"Are you there now?"

"I'm at the parking lot. Did something happen?" Kelvin asked in curiosity

"Errmmm... it's... it's one of the boys"

"What happened to one of the boys?"

"He ran off with one of the girls at the club"
"Fuck Greg, is that the best you could do?" Greg whispered to himself as he turned away from the phone

"I don't think I should hear about that. You should handle it"

"What... what should I do boss?"

"Greg are you okay? You haven't been yourself all day. Is there something you are not telling me?"

"Nothing boss! I know what to do,sorry to bother you"

Greg was able to delay Kelvin for a minute or two. He had hoped that would make a difference as there was nothing much he could do anymore. He was also close to the columbarium already, he could only hope things weren't out of control by the time he got there.

"I should have just punctured his tyre or something. I should have stopped him from leaving in the first place. Why did I not think of that?Fuck!"

"Mommy" Willow called out as she dragged Joan's coat at the tip gently

"Yes princess" Joan sniffled as she answered wiping her tears

"I want to pee mommy"

"You want to pee? I wonder where the toilet is here. Let's go baby"

Joan picked Willow up as she looked around the columbarium for the toilet. She had passed a different hallway by the right when Kelvin came in from the entrance left hallway. Kelvin looked around to find Rose's cremation niche. He stood in front of her and stared silently for seconds.

"I don't even know what to say. Errmm Rose, I'm probably the last person you want to see right now but I couldn't make it to your funeral so I thought this was the least I could do. I'm sorry for the way things turned out because of me. I haven't seen Joan for years now, I can only hope she's doing well, she deserves so much better than the way I treated her. Keep resting Rose"
More than any other day, I missed Joan so much that day, a part of me had hoped of seeing her or any traces of her at the columbarium. Even if she wouldn't forgive me for what I did, I just wanted to see her again. I stood still in front of Rose lost in my own thoughts.

"Do you have feel better now baby?"

"Yes!" Willow said with a smile

"Yesss, let's go back to Aunty Rose now" Joan smiled back as she touched her cheeks affectionately

Joan kept looking at Willow as they both walked out of the toilet. A man came out of the men's toilet too. Joan stood still at the sight of the man.

"George?"

"Joan?"

"Oh my God! George!!"
Joan exclaimed again

"Where have you been Joan? I looked for you everywhere. I couldn't find you. You just disappeared after what happened to Rose"

"Well, I've been around"

"Around? Most be around another planet huh? Cos I searched every nook and cranny for you. It's good to see you"

"Good to see you too George"

George finally noticed Willow in front of Joan. He looked at her as he looked up at Joan again

"She is...??"

"My daughter, Willow". Joan said with a smile

"Your daughter?! You are married?"

"It's a long story George. How's everything with you?"

"This won't do. I saw a cafe down the street when I was driving in. How about a cup of coffee?"

"Maybe some other time George. I'm kind of in a hurry now"

"Can you give me your number then"

"Sure"
Of course Joan wasn't in a hurry, she just wasn't ready to face George. She knew George would get to the bottom of everything if he had just a slightest idea of what happened. After Rose's death, Joan had vowed not to get anyone involved in her business again. She walked away quickly with Willow in her hands without looking back.

"Ooops, that was close" Joan said as she finally got out of the columbarium. A car drove towards them. It was Greg, he got out of the car quickly as he slammed the door running towards them. Joan looked with curiosity

"What are you doing here?"

"Hey! Are you done?" Greg asked nervously

"Yes I am but what are you doing here?"

"Just thought I could come pick you up. It's hard to get a taxi around here you know. By the way, did you meet anyone at the columbarium?"

"You are being so weird right now Greg. How did you know I met someone?"

"You met someone?!!!"
Greg shouted

"Oh my God! What is wrong with you Greg. You are going to scare Willow"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry princess. I just didn't expect you to meet someone in a place like this" He chuckled again nervously

"It was sure a surprise for me too. I mean, who would have thought I would meet George here"

"George? Who's that?"

"You don't know him. A friend from college"

"That's who you met?"

"Mmm..hmm" Joan nodded

Greg gave a sigh of relief. They must have missed each other when she met George. Whoever this George was, Greg was sure grateful to him"

"You are done yeah? Let's start going"

"Are you sure you are fine Greg? You acting so weird right now"

"I'll be fine as soon as we get out of here" Greg rushed Joan in as he sighted Kelvin from afar

"I need you to get me the footage from the Columbarium Greg" I said to Greg after getting back to the warehouse

"Why do you need that boss?"

"I saw gladiolus at Rose's cremation niche. It's Joan's favorite flower. She probably was there today. The flowers looked fresh.We must have missed each other. Get me a footage of the entrance, exit and the room Rose is"

"Okay boss"

Greg thought he had finally overcome the hurdle but seems there was more for him to do. He was glad Kelvin gave the job to him, there was no way he was going to let Kelvin see the original footage but he knew Kelvin was smart. Even if he didn't see Joan there, he had a reason to start looking for her now. Greg had to be on his toes but for how long?