THE RAID

Greg rushed into my office panting heavily
"We need to leave now boss" he said under his breath

"What's happening?" I asked in confusion

"Arturo sent his boys to raid the warehouse sir. They have surrounded the whole place. We can still make it through the underground door if we leave now boss"

"Let's go"

Greg and I hurried down the staircase as we made a run to the underground exit I had built in case of emergencies like this. The sounds of gunshot filled the air sporadically. I finally made it through the exit, it led to the road outside of the warehouse.

"Arggghhhh!!!!" I grunted in annoyance

"How did they know about our warehouse" Greg asked rhetorically as he was panted heavily

"I really underestimated Marvin, he had really gone far with Arturo before we caught him. I thought it only ended with the shipment they hijacked. They must have shared so much information, this is just the beginning"

"What do we do now boss? They really caught us unaware. The whole place is in a mess"

"Arturo, Arturo, you really want to play this far?"

"You still have your meeting with the Mayor tomorrow, do you think you can strike a deal with him to deal with Arturo"

"I was going to make a deal concerning business with the mayor, but it seems we have a more pressing issue now. We have to strike while the iron is hot. Arturo paid a visit, we should send him a gift too."

I felt a vibration in my pocket. I had a call, it was Joan. The gunshots she heard must have startled her. I needed to come up with a sensible excuse, but I struggled as I was still in shock from what just happened. I picked up the call without thinking.

"Hey baby"

"Hey, what happened? I heard gunshots, are you okay?"

"I'm fine baby. It's nothing, some movie guys are actually shooting a movie in the area. It was the action scene so they had to make gunshots. Apparently they had informed the residents before now but I guess I didn't get the notice cos I was too busy. They probably dropped a letter in the mail or something." I said as I chucked nervously. I wondered if my excuse was sensible enough to convince her"

"Really? It must have really been some blockbuster movie cos that sounded so real. I thought they were robbers in your area"

Right,why didn't I think about that. I thought, that was much better than the one I said. She believed it anyway, that was what mattered.

"Ermm, I feel really tired now baby"

"Oh right, I'm sorry, you really had a long day. You should rest, goodnight"

"Talk tomorrow" I said as I aborted the call

"Never knew you were this good at lying" Greg teased

"I never had a reason to"

"Now you do, you should practice more often"
he said again as we both walked on the dark lonely road

"I should change my assistant already, you are getting too comfortable"

"That will be nice,I'll get so much free time to myself"

"But I can't let you live, you know too much already"

We both giggled as I wrapped my hands round Greg's neck. It reminded me of the old days when we had just started the business. How we struggled and fought to get our own position on the top of the pyramid. It wasn't an easy journey, we cried, we made difficult sacrifices but we had each other through those times and we still do now and will always. Greg wasn't just my assistant, he was a brother.