THE SEND OFF DINNER

*Six months later*
"Hmmm! I can't believe we are finally leaving" Rose said as she folded her clothes inside her box.

"I know right, it's been four years already. Time to get into the outside world and start making some money" Joan responded with a smirk

"If only it was that easy. The more money you make the more bills you get to pay. Welcome to adulthood baby"

"Thinking about that right now is a little depressing. I'm just going to enjoy myself for now then think of what to do later. I think I deserve that much rest. What about a vacation? What do you think Rose?"

"You mean a baecation?" Rose teased

"Come on! I'm talking about us, just the both of us alone not with Gabriel"

"I don't think I have the mind to, your boyfriend will blow our phones off before we even get to our destination. He calls you every damn minute, haven't seen a boyfriend so protective"

"Well.... When you have a pretty girlfriend like me you can't help but to...."
Joan phone rang as she spoke. It was Gabriel

"Talk of the devil"  Rose whispered

"Hey baby"

"Sweetheart, how are you doing? Done packing?" Gabriel asked over the phone

"Almost done,you didn't forget about tonight right?"

"Your send off party? Of course not. I'd be there. Is Greg invited?"

"Yes, Greg can come."

"Alright pumpkin. Text me when you are done. I'll come pick you up"

"No it's fine, we'll find our way"

"Okay baby,talk to you soon"

"Hmm,bye"

"Is he coming to pick us up?" Rose asked

"He offered but I declined, so we could have time to go shopping for tonight, you know what I mean"

"Ahhh, you little naughty girl"

"That's me" Joan replied as they both giggled

                          *Later at night*
"Wow, this is some chic restaurant" Rose commented as she looked around

"This is the restaurant Gabriel brought me for our first dinner date"

"Oohhh Joan, you really caught a big fish this time,I'm proud of you my girl"

"Thank you momma, they should be here any minute from now"

"You said he's coming with his assistant right? What does he look like?"

"Why do you ask? You wanna catch the baby fish?"

"Baby fish is better than an empty net you know" Rose said as she winked

"You never cease to amaze me Rose Peters"

"I'm learning well from you"

Joan phone beeped. It was a text message from an unknown number

"Gabriel just texted me to come outside"

"Oh my God, is he going to surprise you?" Rose said in excitement

"You think? But this isn't his number"

"You are no fun Joan, of course it's part of the surprise"

"Okay, let me go see him."

"I'm coming with you. I'd rather see for myself than get the gist later"

The two girls went out from the restaurant to meet Gabriel.

"How do I look Greg?"

"Dapper as always boss" Greg replied as he stared from the front mirror

"I can't wait for her reaction when I give her the gift"

"I'm sure she will love it?"

"You think?"

"Mmhh hmm"

"She told me her friend will be coming too. Who knows you might...."

"No thank you, I have a wife"

"Can you stop calling me your wife?"

"Okay boss.... Wife"

"I'll just spare you tonight cause I'm happy. Let me call my pumpkin"

Greg mimicked my words

"I can see you. Why isn't she picking?"

"She can't be drunk again is she?"

"What are you talking about? She only drank that one time cause I didn't attend her party. For how long will you keep referring to it huh?"

"Just wondering why she's isn't picking."

"I'll call her again"

A call came in before I could dial Joan's number.

"Whose number is this? Did you give anyone my number?"

"Your number? No boss. It's probably one of our clients."

"Hello?"

"Hello Kelvin"

I was surprised to hear someone call my name. It's been a while I heard my name. The voice sounded like that of a man in his late 50s. I wondered who it was among our clients"

"I'm sure you are wondering who it is now. We were going to meet sooner or later anyway so why not sooner"

"Who are you?" I asked

"Your biggest competitor and worst enemy my boy. I'm Arturo Cruz, we both know each other by name Kelvin Jones"

"I don't think I have any business with you Arturo"

"Maybe before now, but you do now. I have your girl with me here, that's some business I think, a personal one at that, don't you think?"

"I do not know what you are talking about. You got the wrong person"

"Ah, don't tell me you are going to deny your woman now. Bring her over here" Arturo said to his boys

"He.. hello, Gabriel is that you?" It was Joan's voice, it quavered in fear

"Do you still wanna deny her now after hearing her sweet voice. I also have her little friend here with me by the way"

"How dare you?! I swear to God I'm going to kill you if you lay a finger on her!" I said as I fumed in anger

"There's no need to get angry. Just do what I ask you to do and you can have your little princess back in no time"

"What do you want?"

"You stepped on toes Kelvin Jones. You stepped on big toes and you have to pay for it. Come to the address I'm going to send to you now and don't even think of bringing your boys. The moment I sense any foul play, your woman dies"

"Don't you dare lay a finger on her till I get there"

"What is the problem boss?"

"Stop the car"

"Boss?"

"I said pull over!!"

"Yes boss"

I moved quickly to the driver's seat as Greg alighted from the car

"Arturo has Joan and has asked me to come alone"

"It's obviously a trap boss. Going alone is dangerous"

"Going with the boys will be more dangerous now. Go back to the warehouse and wait for my order"

"Boss?boss!!" Greg shouted as I zoomed off