A NEW BATTLE

"You are making me nervous with the whole blindfold and everything," Joan expressed as she tightly held on.

"Don't worry, baby. I've got you. Just take each step carefully" I reassured her

Eventually, we entered inside, and I gently removed the blindfold.

Joan inquired, her eyes still closed, "Can I open my eyes now?"

I softly replied from behind her, "Yes, you can."

Joan slowly opened her eyes, her jaw dropping in awe, her face brightening up with a smile. She couldn't believe what she saw and covered her mouth in disbelief.

"Oh my God! How did you do this? How did you come up with such a beautiful surprise?" Joan exclaimed, gazing at the sight in front of her. She turned around, astonished to find me on one knee with a ring in my hand.

With her voice quavering and tears welling up in her eyes, she said, "Kelvin."

"I thought long and hard about how to make this moment unforgettable, Joan. Then it hit me that you've always wanted an art gallery of your own. So, here I am, telling you that I want to chase your dreams alongside you. I want us to build our empire together, supporting each other and never letting go. If you would be willing to embark on this journey with me, Joan, will you marry me?"

Overwhelmed, Joan sniffled and struggled to take it all in. "This is too much for me to handle... Oh my God, Kelvin..." She nodded firmly and replied, "Yes, I'll marry you, Kelvin."

I slid the ring onto her finger, and we embraced each other tightly. It was an incredibly emotional moment, one I had longed for and wished for. Finally, it was becoming a reality, and it felt surreal.

"love you, Joan," I whispered.

Sniffing, she replied, "I love you too."

****
The sound of champagne bottles popping filled the air, followed by a loud cheer.

"Congratulations, boss and madam, on your engagement!" Michael exclaimed.

"Congratulations, boss and madam!" the other boys chimed in.

"Thank you," Joan replied, smiling.

"So, when's the wedding, boss?" Michael asked playfully.

"Why are you so impatient?"

"Can I be your ring bearer?" he asked again.

"I think you'd do better as a ring bouncer," I joked, and everyone burst into laughter.

"Looks like there's a party going on?!" a voice remarked from outside the room.

The voice was familiar, and I immediately recognized it as my worst enemy, Arturo.

"What is he doing here?" Joan remarked upon seeing him, her voice laced with anxiety

I patted her hand gently to calm her down as I stood up from my seat to meet Arturo and his men.

"I feel so left out, Kelvin. How could you not invite me to your engagement party? After all, we are supposed to be one family. Not only did you keep your return to health a secret, but now you won't even let us know about your engagement." Arturo said with a sarcastic tone

"Well, if I didn't inform you about any of that, it can only mean one thing. You're not invited, and you are clearly not family. Which leads me to ask, what are you doing here?" I replied, standing face-to-face with Arturo.

"Come on now, there's no need to be hostile." Arturo said with a smug face before moving closer to me  "I only came to let you know that the war isn't over yet, Kelvin," he whispered into my ear.

My fists clenched, and anger filled my eyes.

"Did you really think someone like you could have a decent life and family? Do you think you deserve it?" he continued, his threats escalating.

I couldn't believe his audacity. He had the nerve to come into my territory and threaten me. For a moment, I felt my anger boiling over.

"You know what I think I don't deserve? Being threatened by a small fry like you," I retorted, my voice dripping with disdain. "You seem to have forgotten why I remain the number one in this city. Now, if you would kindly leave my base, I have a party to attend." I said turning to leave as I was trying not to ruin the day.

A sinister smile crept across Arturo's face. "We'll see how long you can maintain that proud look, Kelvin. What's your daughter's name again? Willow, yes. She's quite pretty. With a little training, she'll be perfect to work with the VIPs... once you're gone."

As tensions escalated, I could feel the weight of the situation hanging in the air. Arturo's words had crossed a line, and I had lost all patience. Without thinking, I let my anger take control and landed a powerful blow to Arturo's face, causing him to stumble and fall to the ground.

"What did you say?" I demanded, my voice laced with a mixture of anger and disbelief.

The room fell into a tense silence as Arturo's men and my own stood at the ready, their guns pointed in our direction. It was a standoff, each side ready to defend their leader.

In that moment, I knew that a single wrong move could ignite a full-blown war. I took a deep breath, trying to regain my composure and diffuse the situation before it spiraled out of control.

"Lower your weapons," I commanded firmly, addressing both my men and Arturo's. "This ends here. There will be no more violence tonight."

Slowly, the tension eased as guns were lowered on both sides. It was a fragile peace, but for now, it held.

"Leave now," I said, my voice filled with a mix of warning and finality. "And remember, if you ever threaten my family again, there will be consequences."

Without another word, he and his men retreated, leaving the room in a state of uneasy calm.

As the door closed behind them, I turned to my own men, my expression firm.

"Let this be a reminder," I said, my voice steady. "We protect what is ours, but we do so with honor. We will not be dragged into unnecessary violence. Tonight, we celebrate. Let's not allow Arturo's presence to spoil this moment."

With renewed determination, we put the incident behind us, focusing on the celebration ahead. But deep down, I knew that the battle with Arturo was far from over.