JOAN AND GREG's LITTLE SECRET

Joan still couldn't accept that Rose was gone. She pleaded with God to wake her from the horrific dream she was in. The fact that her friend was gone and the one man she had loved wasn't who she thought he was was just too much of a bitter pill to swallow. All her world came crumbling down in one night, she had cried herself to sleep the previous night and was too weak to get out of bed now.

Greg had been following her since she left as Kelvin asked. He was outside her home when Kelvin called him.

"Where is she?" I asked over the phone

"She's been indoor since last night boss"

"Did you get her breakfast?"

"Yes I did. I dropped it at her door but I'm not sure she got it. Seems like she's been in bed all night till now"

"Just keep an eye on her"

"Boss, how is it going there?"

"Don't worry, I got everything under control here just keep an eye on Joan so she doesn't hurt herself"

"Okay boss"

Arturo crossed the line and I was going to take a tooth for a tooth. He declared war and he will get it. I had called the underbosses for an urgent meeting. Arturo had fled the country after his plan failed but I was going to find him even if he went down to hell.
I was afraid to face Joan, I had betrayed her trust and to make it worse her friend died because of me, she will never forgive me.

                          *Two weeks later*
Joan finally got out of her room. She had locked herself up for the past two weeks crying herself to sleep every night. There was Greg, who had been outside the whole time keeping an eye on her. Joan had been feeling sick for days, she thought she just needed to eat and rest but there weren't much changes after three days. She decided to go to the hospital for check up. Greg heard the creaky sound of the gate as Joan opened to go outside, he snapped from his sleep.

"Oh she's finally out" Greg mumbled as he dialed Kelvin's number

"Greg" Kelvin answered over the phone

"Yes boss, she just came out. I think she might be going somewhere"

"Okay, just follow her closely but don't let her know"

"Yes boss"

Greg ended the call. He drove closely as Joan walked out of the alley to hail a cab. He trailed behind them, the cab finally made a stop at the hospital. Joan alighted and went in.

"Why is she in a hospital? Is she feeling sick?" Greg said to himself as he also got out and followed Joan.
She went to the reception as they directed her to the doctor's office. The doctor had told her to run some tests after the complaints about how she felt. She went to the lab for the test and was asked to wait for her result. Greg had followed closely all this while making sure he wasn't seen.

"She looks so haggard and pale" Greg whispered to himself again as he looked at her with pity, she wasn't the same girl he knew few weeks ago. The bright and jovial Joan was no where to be found and for some strange reason, it broke his heart. It broke his heart that her beautiful colorful life was changed forever into a sad one because of them. She didn't deserve any of what happened to her but here she was, looking lifeless.
Finally, the nurse called her back to the doctor's office.

"How are you feeling ma'am?" The doctor asked with a smile

"I'm okay" Joan replied with a somber expression

"Your test result is ready. Congratulations, you are four weeks pregnant ma'am"

"I'm what?" Joan suddenly felt suffocated like she was in a tied bag without air. She began to gasp for breath as the doctor's voice echoed from a distance

"Are you okay? Ma'am are you okay?" The doctor tapped her gently

"I'm pregnant?"

"Yes, four weeks gone. But you don't really look too well right now. I'll advise you to eat more and rest well. You need strength for you and the baby. I'll recommend some multivitamins you need. Also you should register for ante natal, you will be told more on what to do there.
Joan stood up gently as she walked out of the office absentmindedly. Her legs felt numb as she almost fell, she held onto the wall. The same man she had vowed not to ever see again, the man she had planned to disappear from his life forever, she was pregnant for him. Joan turned suddenly to Greg who was still following her.

"Did you really think I wouldn't know you've been following me? You've been outside my house for weeks. I'm not that stupid but I understand you are only following your boss's order, you can tell him I'm doing just fine so stop following me, it's really creepy"

"I'm sorry, he just wants to make sure you are okay"

"Make sure I'm okay?" Joan said as she scoffs

"I know...."

"You know what? What do you know? What right does he have to get someone to stalk me? If he really cared about me my friend would still be alive, I won't be looking like a pathetic person that I am now. Make sure I'm okay? Don't you think it's a little too late for that? I told him never to appear in front of me again. When I said that, I meant everything that had to do with him, I meant everything that could remind me of him especially you!"

"Joan just take it easy please. It was beyond his control too. He never knew his identity was blown already. He wouldn't have gone that far with you if he knew?"

"What would he have done? Would he have killed me to silence me from talking to his enemies? Stop following me" Joan said as she walked out of the hospital with Greg still behind her

"What do you want?! What do you people want from me?! Fine! That's it! I'm pregnant, go tell him! Let him come kill me once and for all"
Joan shouted in anger as she threw the result at Greg.

"You... you are pregnant?" Greg stuttered

"Yes I am so why don't you make your little report to your boss now. Let him just finish us off once and for all"

"You know he will never do anything to hurt you"

"I know? Well I thought I did. But I know nothing about that man. Absolutely nothing. The man I knew was nothing but a fictional character and he doesn't exist anymore"

"Let's get into the car before someone sees us" Greg said as he dragged Joan by the arm

"Get into which car?I'm not going anywhere with you. Let me go!" Joan tried resisting but she was too weak. They both got into the car. Greg's phone rang, it was Kelvin.

"Boss?" He answered
Joan unbuckled the seat belt in annoyance as she heard Kelvin's voice. Greg held her back, signaling to her to keep calm.

"Where is she?"

"She came to the hospital boss"
Joan gave a death stare

"Hospital?"

"But it's nothing serious. She's just suffering from fatigue, she will be fine after given some IV drips and good rest"

"Okay, keep an eye on her"

"Yes boss"
Greg aborted the call. There was a moment of silence between them

"Why didn't you tell him the truth?" Joan asked  as she broke the silence

"Do you want me to? I think it's best if my boss doesn't know about it for now. He certainly wouldn't keep still if he knows you are carrying his baby and frankly, he's not in the position to protect you and the baby right now. The cartel is at war and anyone too close might be caught in the crossfire. You will be safe if he doesn't know about your whereabouts or the baby"

"How am I suppose to hide from him? He has his people everywhere including you"

"Well, not if I'm the one hiding you". Greg said as he revved up the car engine

"What are you planning?"

"Don't worry, let's go over to the house and pack few of your things.I'll take you somewhere you will be safe. You and the baby"