A NEW DEMON

George went back to their college, after so much trouble he was finally able to Joan through Alice at the cafe. They had agreed to meet at the cafe, George was now waiting for her as he ordered a cup of coffee. After what seemed like an eternity Joan finally arrived. George sighed in relief as soon as he saw Joan, he had feared Joan wasn't going to come, he had so many questions he needed answers to.

"You came"

George said as Joan stood in front of him

"Did you think I wasn't going to?"

Joan responded with a smile as she sat in front of him

"For a moment, I thought so"

"I wouldn't agree to meet you in the first place if I wasn't going to"

"I'm glad you decided to meet me. What would you like to have?"

"It's okay, she knows. I'm a regular here"

"Oh okay. I wonder how this place never came to my mind back then when I was looking for you. You always came here with Rose to get coffee. By the way, I heard what happened to Rose, I'm really sorry. That was really a terrible accident"

Kelvin had his people turn the whole kidnap case into a fire incident. Only Joan knew the truth about the whole case, the fact that the death of her friend was turned into a false case ate her up every day but there was nothing she could do about it. She concluded it was also better for Rose that way than people knowing the whole mystery behind her death, she wouldn't want her friend associated with Mafias for the rest of her life, nobody would believe she was there cos of her friend, the police will easily conclude she was with one of the mafia members, maybe the fire case was the best option for her.

"It really was"

Joan said as she ran her finger through  the tip of her cup

"You didn't bring your daughter today?"

"I left her with a friend"

"Oh, I didn't know you were married. I must have put you in a difficult situation. I didn't mean to, I'm sorry"

"Difficult situation?" Joan said curiously

"Yes, your husband met me the other day. I didn't know he was with you at the columbarium that day, he probably saw him and ran a check on me. He knew we were close back in school"

"Husband? You mean Greg? Greg met you?"

"You didn't know? I was hoping to get more on how you were doing from him when he reached out to me then but I was surprised when he told me to stay away from you"

"I need to go now George. Let's see some other time okay?"

Joan said as she rushed out of the cafe. Why did Greg have to meet George, everything Greg had done started to make sense to Joan. She connected the dots of everything he did that she thought was weird. No wonder he kept asking about George from her, he knew who George was already. She brought out her phone hurriedly to call Greg

"Joan?" Greg said over the phone

"We need to meet now!"

"I'm a litt..."

"I swear to God Greg if you do not meet me this moment I'm coming to wherever you are. We both know you wouldn't want that"

"I'm on my way"

Joan paced back and forth in her living room as thoughts wandered through her mind. She thought of everything from the beginning when Greg offered to help her when he had absolutely no reason to. He easily lied and betrayed his boss and friend of so many years to help her, a girl he knew almost nothing about. It could only mean one thing but Joan struggled with the thought, she prayed so hard and wished it wasn't what she thought.
Greg walked in looking confused, with the way Joan spoke on the phone he knew it was really serious.