capítulo 39

The preparations for Antonio's ceremony were nearing the end, and I ran into my youngest daughter, Vivian. She wasn't paying attention, and seemed to be running off in a hurry. "Woah woah woah there, Vivi! Where are you off to?"

Her eyes were wide as she looked at me. "I was- the rats! The rats and I were playing, and one ran off with some of my drawings!"

"Which drawings?" I asked, holding her shoulders gently.

She whipped her face and shook her head, "none too important, but they're gone now!" She wailed. I pulled her into a hug until she had calmed down some more.

"Listen, this just means that you have more room to make more drawings, right?" She nodded against me and I smiled at her. "Now go get ready for your cousin's gifting ceremony. It's the first one in six years, very exciting things." I encouraged her.

"O-okay." She sniffled once more before going back to her room. I saw a few more rats scuttle away and squeeze themselves under the photo frame.

"Bruno, you better have a good reason for stealing your daughter's artwork." I mumbled to myself, going back to my room. I started digging around for nothing in particular, just wasting time.

Eventually, I heard a distant alarm clock and knew it was time for the ceremony. I joined the group in the center of the house, waiting for Antonio to start going up the stairs. Everyone was anxious, including Antonio it seemed.

Mirabel walked from behind the curtain and held his little hand. She walked him up the stairs and waited for him beside his door.

There was a moment of silence as his door glowed, and a bird flew to him. "Uh huh, uh huh... I understand you!"

"Antonio and Viv could play with the rats together now I guess." Landyn thought to me, squeezing my hand.

I squeezed back with a nod. "We have a new gift!" Alma announced to the village. They all filed into the new room and I snuck off to Bruno's room.

"Bibi? Bibi! Where are you? Mira got left out of the photo and now she's gone!" I heard Landyn frantically communicate with me.

"I think I know where she is hold-"

"...the magic is strong, and so are the drinks." I heard Alma saying to the gathered crowd as I left the room.

I heard the rest of the conversation, and waited until Julieta took her to the kitchen. I sat on the stairs to wait for them to be done, not wanting to interrupt them. "Bibi? Where were you? It took a lot of energy for me to communicate with you." Landyn asked, sitting next to me.

"Oh- um, maybe it was because I was thinking too hard?" I tried to think up excuses.

He raised an eyebrow as he looked over me. "Mmm... I don't think so, but I'll figure it out. I will." I smiled and gave him a quick hug.

After a minute, he separated and stood up. "You go enjoy the party, I'm gonna talk to Mirabel, okay?" I said to him, standing with him.

He looked me in my eyes for a moment before responding, "I told her to meet you in her room, she'll be there soon." He smiled and went back to Antonio's room.

I paced outside the door, wringing my hands while thinking of what to say. "Hi Titi Y/n, Landyn said you wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes, yes, should we go inside?" I asked her, opening the door and following her in. We sat on the bed and I took a deep breath. "Listen, Mira, I want you to know that I believe you about the cracks. I know this whole family thinks I'm crazy, and if they know I agree with you they'll group you in with me, but I know things... things I wish I didn't know."

She gave me a funny look and turned to face me. "What are you talking about? Abuela loves you, all of you!"

"Your abuela loves the twins because they have gifts. That's the only reason." I said with a sad smile, squeezing Mirabel's hands as they sat in her lap.

She looked at me, searching my face for something. "But doesn't she love you?" She asked.

I huffed out a small laugh, "as if. She didn't like me from day one. Especially since I'm married to your tío. As soon as he disappeared, I was outcasted from the family and she acted like my children weren't my own. It's... upsetting, but I can't say I didn't see it coming."

Her brows knit together in confusion. "What? What do you mean?"

"Bruno," I whispered, "a little bit after you were born I asked him for a vision; most of it was about him and I, but the ending was... weird. I was crying while screaming. The final scene was him... leaving." I looked at our joined hands as I spoke, not wanting to make eye contact.

"And that... that was when he..." I nodded at her unfinished question. After an awkward pause of silence, she pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry, Titi Y/n. You didn't deserve that."

I gave her a squeeze and leaned back. "Not to worry, we were happy together before he left, he was nothing but kind to me. We were happy, and I'll never regret being with him." I told her, reassuring her that her tío wasn't a bad man. I patted her arm and stood up. "Now, you get to bed, and don't forget: I'll always believe you. From one crazy to another." I said with a wink, leaving her to her own room.

The next day was almost uneventful, other than Mira running around and asking people questions.

Everyone eventually broke off for the day, and I rushed back to finish what I was doing  yesterday.

GUYS ITS ALMOST TIME- HES ALMOST BACK!!