Fake Love. 8/10

warning: this chapter may or may not make you feel eighty different emotions in the span of less than one thousand words. sorry that it's short but this is a super important chapter. happy reading!! xD

Park Chaeyoung admits that lately, she's been having difficulty in restraining her feelings for him.

That right, she was falling for him.

One night, she wonders where the precise time where she'd fallen for him was. Was it the time he'd invited her out for ice cream at 3am in the morning and told her that she looked beautiful despite just finishing what felt like a hellhole of a shift? Or was it from the way he sort of just stared at her, deeply, as though he somehow knew that she needed a sense of assurance when she'd come home after a stressful lecture. Perhaps it was even earlier than that, when he'd spilled his whole heart to her in the car ride that night and told her about his fears, his burdens and the way his mothers action left a mark on his life permanently like a scar. Somewhere between what was more nights of spending time together alone, she realised that she felt for him more than just a friend.

And somehow, that didn't scare her.

She wasn't the type that would hide her feelings, despite the cautionary lectures from her friends.

Park Chaeyoung may be sensitive, but one thing that was certain was that she was an honest and genuine woman.

Tonight, they're gathered in a restaurant celebrating Kim Taehyung's birthday and honestly, the group had gotten a little too tipsy. Jeon Jungkook on the other hand was very much sober and always made it a note not to drink around her, so much so, that it became second nature to him. He realised it when Min Yoongi commented about how for once, they hadn't needed to restock the alcohol in his office.

Jeon Jungkook believes that he is a changed man.

"I'll have to admit, I didn't think anyone was capable of changing him," Park Jimin comments in passing, "... thank you for believing in him, Chaeyoung."

In the span of a few short months, she'd really became like family.

She wonders what'll happen, once December ends.

Will they really end up as strangers, again?

"Do you think he still loves her?" She can't help but ask.

"He doesn't really open up as much," the other responds transparently, "... I believe he did, when you first met. But lately—I see the way he looks at you, I can't help but wonder if he feels something for you."

She wonders if she's giving herself false hope.

"The wedding is soon," she continues, "... I hope we can still hang out, even after the arrangement is over."

"Don't even think about ghosting us, you're still out friend above all!"

Park Chaeyoung is really happy to have met them all.

The night continues without drama, until around the 11pm mark when a familiar figure walks into the room.

Kim Chungha.

She watches as her sits on the opposite side of the table after wishing Kim Taehyung well, and even so—his eyes are locked onto her. He was no longer present, no longer listening to the conversation that was running on their side.

Perhaps, she was wrong after all.

Irene notices her and squeezes her hand tightly under the table, whispering, "... don't worry you're his girlfriend."

But she can't help but think how wrong the other girl was.

Fake girlfriend.

Kim Chungha makes her way to their side of the room, before tapping on him on the shoulder.

"Can I talk to you, Jungkook?"

He nods, before turning to her, "... I'll be a moment."

She cannot help, but feel her heart sink.

Park Chaeyoung knows, that she's lost him.

She's not sure whether half an hour has passed or more, but her anxiety gets the best of her. Without anyone noticing (she thinks), she gets up and excuses herself from the toilet, making her way outside and hiding behind a corner to hear the others still talking outside.

He's smiling.

"You're really become a good man, Jungkook. I have a lot of regrets," she hears remnants of their conversation from afar, "... do you not feel anything for me?"

"I don't know."

Three words from his lips break her.

"Would you be willing to try again?"

She heads back to the table, when she sees him silent.

He's considering it, she knows.

-

More than fifteen minutes pass and he returns to the table.

He doesn't acknowledge her, instead walking to Kim Namjoon who frowns at him in response, exchanging what seems like to be a line of stern words.

Kim Namjoon walks to her and she can see that it's not good news.

"Jungkook asked me to take you home."

She doesn't protest.

Park Chaeyoung follows him and in the silent ride home (she can see that the other man is pissed off) she asks him.

"They're getting back together, aren't they?"

"I'm sorry, Chaeyoung. He's not sure either, but he's considering it. He felt like she was the one that got away. "

After all, she was only his fake love.