Only Pretend. [END]

This wasn't what I originally planned, but for those who need closure... hope this helps! <3 

-

Two years.

It took another two years for South Korea to be fully free from the war, two years till Jeon Jungkook could finally be free from protective custody.

Everything happened way too fast and he had to make a decision without the luxury of weighing out the risks and rewards.

From the moment Park Chaeyoung had confessed, Jeon Jungkook knew that he had to set her free, despite how much his heart ached and longed for her. As the only child of one of the most prominent military figures in the country, Jeon Jungkook could sense that something was wrong—he was being followed.

He knew that every moment spent with her, would be putting her into harms way.

Hence, he did the noble thing and ended things.

A fake marriage was unethical to begin with anyway.

Jeon Jungkook is ordinarily good with calculations, but never in his wildest dreams, as his plane landed, would he imagine to be stuck in the middle of a bombing. He doesn't remember much as the adrenaline pumped through his body but even now, his mind remembers the sounds of cries and the vision of blood and limbs bursting. Jeon Jungkook cannot forget the dreaded smell of burnt bodies and the way his eyes slowly dimmed, until eventually he finds himself being pulled away by a man in uniform.

Was he being held as a hostage?

He doesn't know how long he'd been asleep but when he wakes up, he finds himself in a small underground bunker with men around him in military uniform. His eyes squint, confirming the sight of the South Korean flag.

"Jeon Jungkook, I know you're surprised but try not to move too much," one commander comments, "... there was a bomb on your plane. We managed to pull you out, but there's not that many survivors."

"My f—father," he winces through the pain as he speaks, feeling the cuts and bruises across his face, and the way his muscles burned at any attempt of movement, "... I want to see my father."

Suddenly, a man clad in black comes in front the distance.

"Mr Jeon Jungkook, my name is special agent Lee. We know you've been stalked for the last few weeks, your father too—is a high threat target by the North," he explains, "... we want you to fake your death, stay low until the war is over."

"But my father, I can't leave him alone," he whispers through dehydrated lips, "... I'm all that he has."

"We know, but every moment your on public ground, is a step closer to losing him for good. Or just as bad, losing you for good," he tells him.

And that's how it happened, Jeon Jungkook was in protective custody until the war ended.

At first, he thought that he would be fine.

Jeon Jungkook admits he's not that interesting of a person, hence staying on the down low isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world but after a few days, he finds himself thinking a lot about his father, and another—Park Chaeyoung.

He regrets leaving so suddenly, without a proper goodbye.

Jeon Jungkook feels bad that they'd left on bad terms.

Whenever a stable and secure connection was permitted, he'd search for her name—seeing as she continued to make great pieces, sometimes even in tribute of him.

And it makes him long for her more.

The first anniversary of his "death" was one of the hardest because she'd posted a photo of him on social media, with the caption about missing him.

And of course, Jeon Jungkook makes himself as useful as possible—a medic for the injured and helping with speech therapy for traumatised victims, but time goes so slow, when you have no one. Even worse when you have those that you love on the other side, who think that you're dead.

He often wonders how they'd react when he can see them, once South Korea is free.

Will they be happy?

Or will they harbour a sense of anger?

But no amount of thinking could prepare him for the look on her face when he calls out for her.

On a winter day, right after liberation, he watches from afar as she stands next to his father, walking back from his "grave."

"Chaeyoung," he calls out, "... father, it's me."

Her swollen red eyes are wide in wonder, mouth completely open in surprise.

He can't help but chuckle as she turns to his father, whispering, "... am I hallucinating?"

His father shakes his head, "... go to him, greet your husband."

She runs.

Maybe she thinks it's a dream and that's why there's no dignity left in her to question how her husband raised from the dead, but when he wraps his arms around her, the warmth of his lips against hers, she knows—she's not dreaming.

Her prayers were answered.

"Jungkook," her voice is breathy from the run, "... how?"

"I'll explain it all soon let's get inside with father, you're so cold," he tightens his embrace as he waits for his father to make his way to them.

"I didn't know if it was you," she cries onto his chest.

"Chaeyoung, don't cry, I'm here—I'm really here, and I'm not going anywhere."

Soon, he hugs his father before they drive off together, watching as what was initially pretend, a signature on paper turn into reality.