Fake Love. 9/10

final chapter next guyssss, thank you guys for the great journey. i know this mini fic brought a lot of pain and frustration :D let's go jungkooks redemptive arc!! 

Park Chaeyoung doesn't hear from him for the next few days and to be frank, it was driving her insane. How could she have been so stupid to fall for someone as emotionally unavailable as him?

Stupid, stupid girl!

"I can't handle seeing you like this anymore," Kim Jisoo finally blurts out after the third day of her moping around the living room, "... you've lost the spark in your eye, Chaeyoung."

"Chaeyoung please, you need to eat something. You need to go outside," Lalisa Manoban's words are closer to a plead over anything else.

Jennie Kim quickly runs to her room before throwing her a short dress.

"We're going out and I don't care if we have to physically drag you out. Either that, or we'll go and see him directly and I swear to God he will have his balls cut off," she threatens, "... you'll feel good, it'll be fun to hang out—just the four of us."

Park Chaeyoung doesn't have the heart to say know and maybe, she's too numb to even care.

-

She was lost amid the crowds and a little too intoxicated to even see or think properly but suddenly, she wakes up in an unknown car and a familiar figure beside her.

Jeon Jungkook.

"Did you kidnap me?" Her voice is soft as she tries to move herself up against the seat, seeing the time on the dashboard to reveal that it was well over 2am in the morning, "... where are the girls?"

His jacket is draped across her thighs, seats heated as he drives through the familiar route to her house.

"They called me and lost you in the crowd and apparently you left your phone with them. I was looking for you all night, don't worry they're at home waiting for you," he tells her, "... sleep some more, it's your first time drinking right?"

Park Chaeyoung hates it.

She hates how soft and gentle his voice sounds and the way he moves on hand on her thigh, squeezing it tight.

Park Chaeyoung misses him like hell.

"Hmm."

"Why did you drink so much anyway, Chaeyoung?" He questions, and it's sort of tantalising to hear how lost and unaware he was with the torment she'd felt, "... it's unlike you."

Was she dreaming? Surely he knew well, about how she felt.

Alone.

Abandoned.

Forgotten.

Replaced.

"I don't know," she manages to whisper before closing her eyes shut, "... I guess I've had a lot on my mind."

"You're graduating soon, right?"

She nods.

"Next week."

After that, she falls into a deep sleep, waking up the next morning with her first ever hangover.

-

Everything happens for a reason, she learns.

Her late-night drinking was an awakening of sorts. She didn't need to spend her time moping around, she had so much for her. And there she was, standing at the back of the stage waiting for her name to be called knowing that her three best friends were in the crowd ready to cheer louder than thunder. By now, she is at peace with herself and decides that her feelings for him was nothing but a fleeting moment in time.

Until she gets home and sees the most beautiful bouquet of flowers at her door and Jeon Jungkook standing in the front of it. The other girls had gone for their shift, while she had to call it a night to start her first day at the law firm the next morning.

"Jungkook?"

He turns around and she can see that familiar smile across his face. She admits that he really does look content. Behind his eyes, he was no longer chained to his own personal demons. He was free.

So was she.

"Congratulations on graduation," he leans in and hugs her and she can feel her heart beating again at the smell of his sandalwood scent, "... I can officially go to you for my legal problems."

"I hope you wouldn't," her voice isn't bitter anymore, hell knows she'd spent too long crying over him, "... but if you do, I'll give you a discount."

"I'm sorry for suddenly ghosting, there was so much on my mind," he tells her.

"I know. About Chungha, right?"

He nods, "... are you free for dinner? I'd like to talk with you."

"I'm free, but I'd rather we didn't. Thank you for the flowers."

Before he could respond, before he could see the pain resurfacing in her mind, she opens the door and closes it shut.

She loved him, but she needed to love herself first and foremost.