Undefined Territory. 1/5

what could possibly go wrong in a fic where jeon jungkook falls in love with his fwb park chaeyoung?? surely nothing right??

When Jeon Jungkook first laid eyes on her in 2016, he couldn't help but feel attracted to her. There was something so mesmerising about the way she performed and how different it felt to the rumours that were circulating. When Kim Taehyung told him that a certain new girl group was set to debut, he didn't think much but when he saw her playing her guitar, golden beige hair as a newbie against the likes of Park Jihyo and Park Chanyeol, it almost seemed like she was the veteran idol. Park Chaeyoung commanded the stage and her vocals truly left you thirsty for more and when he went back to his dorm that day, he couldn't get her face out of his mind.

Sure, he'd seen her perform with her group and some of the iconic dance moves such as he sweeping the floor while hitting all the right notes, but something about the way she seemed so calm, as though she were a king in his throne, was so attractive. There was a confidence about her that felt so alluring, just a perfect amount that it was clear as day yet not too much that he felt scared.

That was the day his crush for her began.

Jeon Jungkook can feel the way his heart beats harder when she walks past him in an award show, or when she bows to him back stage and says their hellos. He'd often watch her from afar, seeing how she treated the staff and other female idols with a tenderness that was unusual for idols at the time and the way she'd always help clean up in the end where most idols were busy running out the door before traffic kicks in. One time, Jeon Jungkook headed back to use the bathroom and on the way out he saw another male idol giving her a sandwich. She was undoubtedly (and for good reason) quite popular in the community.

He heard from Kim Mingyu that a member from his group had confessed to her and in response, she rejected him, claiming that she wasn't really interested in dating an idol and wanted to focus on her career. According to his friend, she was very polite about things. Jeon Jungkook is both glad and disappointed, happy to know that she is in fact single but dissatisfied at the fact that she appeared to refuse to date anyone at all. There's a rumour going around that Park Chaeyoung as a trainee received at least two (sometimes up to four) confessions from people when she was training, and often times they weren't just fellow trainees but idols and staff as well.

He understands the appeal.

She truly seemed different, although he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Jeon Jungkook would often see her when there was parties happening and in such cases, she would always be surrounded by groups of female idols whether it were her own members, members of Red Velvet, Twice or even Itzy at times. She was always cheerful, giggling and relatively touchy with her friends, always having either her arms wrapped around another woman, or vice versa. Sometimes, he would consider approaching her—thinking that there was a brief window of opportunity to say hello when she would head to the toilet or go to refill her drink but even so, it seemed as though someone had always beat him to it.

He feels satisfied at least to be able to watch her from a distance.

At some point, it feels as though the world was against his small crush for her. Between their busy schedules, he'd barely gotten the chance to see her. They barely both seemed to be in the same country when there was a party or gathering and it seemed as though her agency was somewhat selective over the award shows that their group would attend. It wasn't so bad though, he simply watched her performances and covers on his phone whenever he had the time off. A part of him hoped that his crush would at least dissipate now that they weren't seeing each other that regularly, but instead—distance makes the heart grow fonder. He wanted to see her again.

-

Things change on New Years Day when her group attended the celebration in their penthouse. The other three girls came relatively early but Park Chaeyoung was nowhere to be seen.

"Isn't there a fourth member?" He tries to casually ask Min Yoongi, though by the way his voice cracks, he wasn't convincing anyone.

"You mean Rosie?"

Since when was he on first name basis with her?

"I guess," he shrugs, "... is she not coming?"

"I think she's coming later, she has a dinner with her family," he notifies her, "... why?"

"Just asking."

He learns later that she's relatively close to Min Yoongi and Jung Hoseok, who help her with her dance and song writing once in a while.

Is everyone just getting friends behind his back?

The night continues and the crowd begins to gather in the patio, ready for the fireworks. It's already 11:45PM and she was nowhere to be seen. He stands by the door just in case no one answers it, thinking that he could at least break his curse of not speaking to her by wishing her a good new year.

"The hell you doing here?" Park Jimin asks when he retreats inside to use the bathroom, noticing his member simply standing by as though he were on edge, "... are you waiting for someone or something? Go outside, we'll all doing the count down."

"I'll come soon," he promises, trying to hide the annoyance in his face.

Did he really just stand around for the last hour looking like an antisocial freak?

At 11:58pm, he hears the door ring and he doesn't even wait to open it seeing her—dressed in all white (a cropped top and high waisted baggy trousers) and her hair in a low bun.

"Oh hi," she blinks, seemingly surprised to see him opening the door so fast, "... sorry I'm late, traffic."

Before he can respond, he wraps his arms around her into her a hug, feeling the alcohol in her breath. Perhaps, it was worth the wait.

Had she gone drinking, already?

She reaches for her phone and sees the time, "... close call, I almost missed the fireworks, huh?"

He nods, "... do you want to go outside with the others?"

"Of course, but can I get a drink first?"

He doesn't know where the breath of courage comes from but he wraps his fingers around hers, slightly tugging at her to the kitchen island where all the alcoholic drinks were abandoned.

"A cranberry vodka please, they're my favourite," she grins widely at him.

Cute.

As he makes it, they can hear the others counting down from the distance.

Panic washes over his face.

3.

2.

1.

Happy New Year!

Before he could even turn to her, he feels her lips crashing against her as her arms wrap around his neck.

He'd often imagined what it would be like to kiss Park Chaeyoung and in his mind, it would be soft, delicate and sweet.

It wasn't.

Kissing her was pure passion and lust and as he pulled away, he could see the hunger in her eyes.

"Will you take me to your room?" She wears a sinful smirk, her fingertips still pressed against his neck.

Somehow, they end up naked in his bedroom on the first of January.