Chapter 2: An Honourable Duel

Two days had passed. In that time John and Strauss returned from the nearby town and everyone had properly moved in and set up. With Grimshaw barking orders around, Pearson readying meals and Uncle....well being Uncle.

Dutch stood outside with one foot on the fountain outside of the mansion though the fountain was broken he still didn't mind, even the frost that was around, even on the lake itself. He puffed his cigar as he took in another deep breath. He loved his surroundings it was like "Old miller said" he would think. Despite the cold he still didn't have his winter coat on and just wore his traditional attire. He gazed around seeing his gang at work making their camp a home for now. 

The lake went on for miles with some bits of it showing the cracked shapes of ice on top freezing the water in place. The trees around were also cold as stone with no greenery to show on them. It was cold but not enough to be a blizzard of some such.

Footsteps edged nearer towards the leader as John walked up to Dutch. No words were said as John lighted up his own cigarette and stood next to Dutch. Now both men were admiring the views around them.

"Good place we got here" Dutch said.

"You seen better?" John retorted as he puffed out smoke.

"No, but listen son. We've done good business to the poor in Minnesota but we're gonna need money to get ourselves moving back out west."

"As always Dutch. New state up here, seems Uncle Sam wants more and more these days." John called as he pointed out the state they were in. Which was North Dakota, its mostly a state with great plains and hard rock valleys. John and the gang hadn't been in this area before so they had to be careful wherever they went. Dutch just chuckled as he puffed his cigar again

"My son, it's no different than before. They just changed the name of the area. Nothing will change, and if it does it will not be affecting us in the slightest". He gloated whilst dropping his cigar to the floor before crushing it with his leather boots. But just like that he remembered he sent John and Strauss into town. To see if they were actually safe where they were.

"What did you find John?"

"I spoke to the locals and they all say the same thing" John said.

"What do you mean" questioned Dutch.

"No-one lives here and no-one ever will."

"Meaning?"

"Idk they said it was haunted" retorted Marston as he waved his hand in the air.

"Would you be more specific John, just because you speak little words it doesn't make you interesting" Dutch demanded in annoyance, John sighed whilst snickering.

"They said a rich man called Thomas Ashmore used to live here." John replied when he took his cigarette out.

"Okay?" The elder questioned.

"The man made his way of life by being the owner of the gold mine 2 miles north from Jamestown. But he was killed 3 years ago by armed men. Reasons are unknown, but what is known is that he had no family left. Man was crooked as ever, cutting wages, terrible security. No-one liked him. So the house has been left alone since no-one wanted to know the truth. Seems people want to forget him."

Interesting Dutch thought. A potential lead and they already just arrived.

"That's quite a story John" Hosea cut in as he joined the duo. As he lighted his own cigarette whilst admiring the view.

"Well that only confirms my suspicions earlier no-one will come looking in this area" Dutch stated with pride.

"Well it explains the gold bars I found underneath the floor boards, there's only 2 of them though" Hosea interjected. When searching the abandoned manor Hosea had found 2 bars of gold under the floors of his room he was bunking in with Bill. A bit odd right? But it was at least around $800 dollars worth which was an incredibly lucky find for the gang.