Chapter 44: Davey Callander

February 14th 1894

A couple days had passed since Robert had returned to camp with Mary-Beth and he had gone off with Uncle to loot some old treasure from the Copperhead Gang...It ended quite chaotic for the pair as it lead to absurdity.

Today was a very special day for someone. It was Mary-Beth's birthday, she was now 16 years old. A young adult as one would say they were. She was getting given gifts from everyone from the moment she had woken up and she had been enjoying the day ever more. Pearson had said he'd make a cake for her to feast on in the evening and Susan had given her light duties as she had to celebrate her day.

Arthur had taken her into town with Copper to get a dress for her present. Leaving everyone else to do other jobs or help around camp. Dutch had seemed happy though he seemed to be getting back into his plans as he had been into Prescott and caught wind of an railway contract. He was in town as well with Strauss to deal with it.

Robert however was stressing out, he knew the day was coming and yet he hadn't given her a gift. It was eating him inside as he had time but didn't know what to get her. He sat on the camp table wondering what to do as he made a list of things to get but crossed out most of the items.

"Hey" A gruff voiced called out.

Robert paused before he looked up and saw Davey standing right behind him. "Morning."

The man walked to the front holding his repeater rifle before he spoke up again. "Look man I have something going on. A bank stage, I was gonna have Mac with me but he were busy with John, and Bill's been an idiot as of lately. So I was wondering if you'd tag along."

This was surprising, Davey had never invited Robert to do job before, as his grudge against him was intense, even though it had been dropped a few days ago, he still felt the awkward sensation in his tone of voice.

"Is the take good?" Robert asked as he put his pen down. He knew how bank stages were the most dangerous stages to rob. They often have great takes but along with that comes with a lot of guards and a stage that's designed like a safe. Great caution would need to be taken.

"Yeah, it's good. More than enough for us, we ambush it and kill whoever gets in our way." Davey replied as he called his horse over and holstered the rifle. He turned but noticed Robert hadn't left his seat as he just sat there looking at Davey, not giving much reaction. Infuriating the man as he kicked a rock away. A moment passed at it just came apparent Robert was just reading his face. Like he wasn't trusted.

"For fucks sake...come on! Fine I'll do it on my own." Davey whined as he turned around and walk away. Fully intent on doing it alone.

"No..." Robert announced and Davey turned around. "I'll come, it's wiser to rob a stage with more than one person." Robert replied as he stood up and pulled his Scholfields out, pushing the cylinder and counted his bullets and he followed the Callander Boy to the horses. He was fully loaded with bullets and guns were clean, he was ready for anything.

"Yes! Trust me the take is good!" Davey smiled encouragingly as he mounted his horse called Rebecca. And awaited for Robert to mount Gold Tiger. So after Davey lead the ride away from camp as they rode into the dry grasslands and over to the desert. Though the pair didn't say anything to each other as the distance increased.

Robert didn't know what to think here, for the first time Davey had seemed to be happy to have him with him. Whilst he agreed to come, it was so that Davey wouldn't be harmed and that he could be blamed for it.

Though in another way he was secretly grateful for it as it put his mind off thinking what to get for Mary-Beth's birthday. Though the thoughts had still remained as he knew he had to get Mary-Beth her gift. Given all the kindness she had shown him and had proved herself to be a very good friend, he knew he had to get her something very special to her.