Chapter 27: Pick Pocket

This is just an edit I did to think of a young Mary-Beth by 1893

~

Within Ashmore Manor was a library, it had some books inside but it had largely been ransacked. Though it was the favourite place for Marybeth to hang out in within. She loved seeing the many novels inside telling many tales from years ago. Some Westerns, fantasies and romances. They made her feel like a child when seeing some books her mother used to read to her.

But that was a life left behind many years ago...

However she had to sometimes take her books out of the room to read due to someone who had moved in and taken the room for himself. The room was littered with whiskey bottles and clothes scattered around, the man was none other than Uncle himself. 

He in the meantime was inside in the library drinking a bottle as he read the newspaper. Mainly keeping to himself so he didn't have to do much and just biding his time. Though his peace was short lived as Hosea walked into the room.

"Listen we need someone to do a shopping trip. Someone who isn't wanted in town." Hosea spoke to the bearded man. "Nor someone the Red Wolf or O'Driscolls would notice."

"Well Id keep looking for someone Hosea." Uncle pointed outside the room as he took another sip.

Hosea wasn't having it as he seized the whiskey bottle away from the man's grasp. the old man just spluttered at the movement as he almost fell out of his chair. "You need to do some work!"

"But Hosea, I'm real sick! I've got Lumbago!" Uncle pleaded.

"I don't care if you had a stroke. Just do it you lazy fool!"

"I'm not lazy! I just don't like doing work."

"Ever since we arrived at the manor all you've done is walk around and drink. You haven't done any chores nor gone out hunting. This should be the easiest work your gonna get, if you don't then your bullshit is harder to keep going!" Hosea pointed out. Whilst Uncle was grabbed out for a few minor jobs outside the manor. He hadn't done much to improve their living standards.

Hosea was Uncle's friend but even friendships are strained when one is lacking in work.

"Well why don't you do it? Why don't you work?" Uncle asked.

The other just looked back with frustration written all over him. "I've been working you damn fool! That's why I'm in this state!"

"Well maybe you should take a page from my book and relax!" He chuckled whilst trying to calm Hosea down.

"Your book is probably used for toilet paper." Hosea retorted .

"Hey that's a low blow Hosea!" Uncle whimpered but Hosea didn't care as he just tapped Uncle's shoulders motioning him to follow. He did so as the pair walked past Susan and Strauss in the hallway and into the main kitchen that Mr Pearson had taken over.

Into the kitchen that seemed to have seen better days. It needed a proper dust out when the gang moved in and the windows were broken so Pearson spent some time nailing planks onto the frames to preserve the warmth. As they walked in Pearson was hard pressed making a stew for the evening. He nodded at both men as he continued to cut the meat.

"Here's the list from Pearson." Hosea said as he took the paper from the counter and handed it over to Uncle who reluctantly took it. He looked at the paper then back at Hosea till he gave in.

"Fine!" He sighed. "But if I'm dead! Your gonna be responsible for me!"

"Just do some Godamn work!! God help me!" Hosea grumbled as Uncle walked out the manor with his new orders to commit. The snow was not as heavy as it had been a couple days ago but it still fell from the sky. The cold was the same, but it couldn't stop Uncle even if he wanted it.