Chapter 40: Hazy days

January 26th 1894

More than a month had passed since the shootout in Jamestown. The Gang had been keeping a low profile ever since. Only people who went out were for hunting and nothing more. Dutch had proclaimed that as the new year arrived, more opportunity and prosperity was an the arise. He seemed rather eager to leave the state of North Dakota as soon as possible. Given how things went in Jamestown it was no surprise. The snow had died down a little but the cold didn't, either way it was still enough to get the wagons moving and flee the state once and for all.

So he made a plan to go south to South Dakota. The snow was seemingly less apparent in the region they chose and that it was more quiet and desolate that no-one could find them. Though the fear of blizzards blazing around was still apparent. So as he got the gang set up for leaving he sent John and Arthur to scout the area ahead and await for one of them to arrive back.

The gang felt relieved that they were leaving the state as the heat would be far behind them along with the fact that the O'Driscolls were left as well. But the manor that they stayed in did feel like a proper home and everyone was gonna miss sleeping inside a building instead of the tents that they usually have. For everyone seemed in high spirits in leaving...well mostly everyone.

In the time since he joined the gang Robert had kept to himself, whatever chore he did it was to keep the manor in good shape and order. Whether it was chopping wood, carrying cleaning tables and occasionally going hunting with Mac as his weapons had been returned to him.

Though he hated the thought of cleaning up the place where the previous owner had tried to kill him and humiliate him and Jessica. Not to mention it was the place where his past gang had broken up.

He was still utterly devastated still as he had kept thinking on how things could've been different and how he had been fooled by the O'Driscolls heavily. His Green clothing though was mostly kept intact, since he had cleaned it regularly and when it was drying he rarely went outside. He would have gotten more but the rest of his clothes were in his caravan and that he didn't want to borrow anyone's clothing as he believed their clothes were beneath him.

The others noted how he dressed so smartly and how they now noticed his vanity and vain persona had come out every now and then. Even if he had kept to himself.

In the time he had been at the manor he had sent letters to Jessica just pleading for him to see her and responding with many apologies on what had happened  but she wrote back telling him to stay away from town. Though she did tell him when her father was going to be buried and he knew he had to pay his visit then and he'd try to work some things out, even if there was little hope. He was just lost and all the feelings turned numb to him.

Arthur, Davey, Bill and John had kept their distance from him. But they made some antagonistic comments on him as they passed by him. Curiously though he didn't say a word in response, even if some of the insults did hurt  him a lot. He just endured all the abuse and let the depressive thoughts bottle up inside of him, soon enough he was numbed to the pain of the insults and the antagonisms.

Eventually John returned back to camp to tell everyone that he and Arthur had secured the new camp spot. And with that, Dutch made the call and everyone had begun packing up the camp and finally leaving the  state once and for all. The morning was spent packing up the wagons and getting the horses ready, for the long ride down south. 

Robert was however by the tree, where he had buried Oscar. For all he knew it would be the last time he'd see the grave of his fallen friend. Gold Tiger was munching on grass and snow behind him as Robert just wiped the stone with his hanker-chief. He had been put on guard duty which was a blessing in disguise in a way.