Chapter 47: The Yellow Wolf

It was late afternoon when the pair had arrived back in Prescott. The pair had managed to get their train back, though the pair felt they deserved to treat themselves as they had successfully pulled off a very profitable scam.

"I could use a drink. You coming with?" Robert asked the old man. Hosea just agreed and the pair had made their way, hitching their horses outside. Before they made their way to the bar counter, it seemed quiet and for now there were no other gang members inside, to celebrate them. But they didn't mind as in a way the pair wanted it so they'd get to know each other more.

The train ride to Prescott had been long but the pair had told many tales of each gang they ran or used to run in. Robert told about all the fun he had with the Wolves as Hosea just educated him on what Arthur, John, Tilly, Mary-Beth and the Callander boys were like when they were all younger. The pair had seemed to have even forgotten that they used to be on opposing sides as they just enjoyed each others company.

"First ones on me Robert." Hosea said as he was very fatherly to Robert, even though Robert didn't like it at first. He did though feel somewhat more safe and comfortable with Hosea.

They clinked their beers as they took their first sips. "Real quiet in here today."

"Yeah, had all 7 of us had been here. Ooh we would've drank this place dry." Robert chuckled as he turned around and leant on the counter looking around, seeing the quietness of it all.

"Very mature of you all...I can say the same with Arthur and the boys." Hosea too snickered as he took another sip of his beer. As he also took in the silence of the saloon. The pair had been getting along so well, so the older man decided to say something that he knew was owed to Robert at least.

"I know I've been very harsh...I was looking out for Arthur, John, Davey, Tilly and Mary-Beth. They're like family to me. I and Dutch have known all of them since they were kids helped them when no-one else would." He started off but paused, wondered how to say it.

Robert just sighed as he replied, knowing the similarity of when he did the same with the Orange Wolf. "I did the same, with Marko...his father beat him up regularly, when Marko tried to stop him from being a whoremonger, he was casted out and beaten. Had I not been there, he could've been killed by his father that day. I wished I did kill that bastard for what he did to his son."

Hosea just smiled as he took another sip. He enjoyed listening to Robert's gang and his heroics as they shared the same ideals Dutch and himself had.

"I agree, you were right to have him ride with you. When I heard about what happened with them, I was too quick to blame you. You only made those decisions because of what everyone had done. So all I'm saying is, I know what was done to you was wrong. And like I said, it's best that you joined us." Hosea apologised.

Robert turned around to the counter as he knocked for another beer with immense gratification. "Thank you....that means a lot Hosea."

Hosea did the same as he turned around and the pair got a other round of beer for themselves. Though at the back of the saloon, someone had looked at them from behind. Someone who was in total disbelief of what he was seeing. Robert heard someone just cackling up from behind but didn't think much of it. Though it sort of sounded familiar.

"So do you trust me like Dutch does?" Robert asked gulping his beer down.  He didn't know what to expect. But he had hoped. His respect for Hosea had increased in the past weeks as he had seen how Hosea had cared for others in the camp and seemed to be kind and caring to everyone in camp, even to someone like Bill. But today things had changed a lot.

"To tell you the truth, I think I trust you more than Dutch does. I know your quite unpredictable and I've come to terms with it. Dutch has high expectations of everyone so when things go crazy he get's mad." Hosea explained as he took another sip.