Chapter 43: The Wolf, the Cat and The Canyon

9th February 1894

A day had passed since Robert had told Mary-Beth about his former gang's past. Though he didn't anticipate Dutch overhearing their conversation about it as he came over asking questions about it. After that Robert's past gang became the topic of talk as everyone seemed to discuss how a gang was. He was bombarded with questions with almost everyone onto him. It went so crazy that he went to bed early.

But as soon as he woke up, Mac had told him what the gang was talking about in the night. Even so he wished he hadn't said it now as some were misinterpreting the events that happened along with putting some blame on the others instead of him. He knew he had his part in it and inside he hated that he was seemingly blameless for what happened. So the following morning he kept to himself, ate his breakfast. Chopped some fire wood and was now practising Karate on his boxing bag.

Robert was punching and kicking his boxing bag that hung from the tree nearby. He had only his black shirt, black karate belt and trousers on, the shirt was rolled up to his elbows. His fists were covered in bandages as he pounded the bag relentlessly along with the kicks.

He didn't know though, he had an audience. Tilly had been watching the young man practise his martial arts for a while and she seemed quite amused with the sight of his veiny wrists and his handsome face. After a while he soon stopped his punches and kicks and drank his coffee as Tilly walked over with mail in her hands.

"Miss Jackson, if you want lessons or some time to throw fists be my guest." Robert greeted as he looked at her, gesturing to the bag.

"I'm fine thank you Mister Reznov." She replied before handing over the letters to him. "Some letters for you Mister Reznov. And damn, you sure can protect yourself alright."

"Thank you Miss Jackson." He said back as he curiously saw he had 2 letters written to him.

The girl just scoffed before crossing her arms. "You can just call me Tilly you know. If Mary-Beth thinks your alright and be a friend, so maybe I can too."

This revelation made him flutter a bit, he hadn't intended to be a friend to either of the young girls but seeing how friendly and nice they were to him, he thought he would give them a chance.

"Thanks, erm so I'm sorry you got caught up with the O'Driscolls back at Jamestown." He apologised to her, remembering how she was captured on Christmas day and was threatened.

She smiled back before she giggled a bit. "It's fine, it wasn't the first time I had a gun pointed at me. Have a nice day Robert." And she walked away gracefully to do another chore. He looked down and read the envelopes of who the writers were and to see who was a surprise.

The letters were from The Orange Wolf and Maybelle Revine.

He hadn't heard from Marko since Christmas when they sent Christmas cards to each other. And he hadn't heard nor seen the outlaw since he was in California.

But there was no Jessica...his heart sank as he sighed. He had a slight hope she would be writing to him to get him back but it still seemed she wanted time for herself. Even so he had sent many letters to her basically telling her that he was alright and that he hoped she would forgive him someday.

He just nodded at Mac as he walked to the bag wanting to prepare for a fighting competition in Phoenix over to his caravan to unroll his sleeves and put the rest of his Red Wolf attire on. He put his hat on last as he opened the first letter. He was exited to hear what Marko had to say as had received Christmas letters and birthdays from him. He was the only one of the original group he somewhat talked to with though he didn't know where he was exactly.