Chapter 52: Fishing for the meek

6th June 1894

Some weeks had passed since moving to the new camp, the camp was where Robert and Mary-Beth had stayed many months back when they trailed the Grand Canyon. But now they were back with the rest of the gang on the overlook looking down onto the grand ravine. The move seemed to put mostly everyone in high spirits as being in the North of Arizona meant they could flee to another state easily if they could.

Though Dutch was absolutely fuming that Colm had slipped by without detection. He had tried to mount an assault against the O'Driscolls but they weren't anywhere in Prescott. But even so, they couldn't risk the law catching onto them as well as some people had finally recognised Dutch from wanted posters, so now he couldn't step foot anywhere near wherever O'Driscoll was. With all the death that happened around that time, it seemed too much for some.

As for Robert and Mac, they had been mostly bed bound as they were being tended to with their injuries. Thankfully Mac had survived his ordeal with Peterson and the O'Driscolls but he had come off worse than Robert as he had laceration all over his body, sunburns, broken legs, ribs and a concussion but he had lost a lot of blood, it was almost certain to be fatal till Davey donated his blood to Mac. So fortunately Mac survived but given his injuries it would take around 2 months or so to fully heal. And already he was being teased for being lazy by everyone.

Robert however was close to full recovery as Miss Grimshaw had since stitched up the spike stab wounds on his back and stitched his hands up. The bruising and the swellings had long faded away. There was a lot of blood loss, though whilst not as bad as Mac's it was enough for concern.

For that, Hosea had done a blood transfusion to Robert. Remarkably it went well,  .Though his broken ribs were still healing up, because of this he had to do light chores around camp but had been considerably bored being in camp. 

He was eager to get out, whilst he loved the view of the canyon from his window. He knew there was more to the Grand Canyon that was yet for him to explore. But there was a slight part of him that didn't want to, for he didn't want to run into "them" again.

The O'Driscolls. He had read from newspapers that they did indeed rob a bank in Phoenix and were committing robberies along the Mexican border. But his main concern was over Peterson. He was a complete mystery, he thought he knew the tall brute to be one of O'Driscolls muscle and lackey. But his last talk made him rethink everything that he knew from past experiences.

He thought about all of it as he sat on his bed reading his book under the covers with large bandages stretching across his chest and around his back. His hands were fine and the scars would easily fade away in time. He was in his caravan as Hosea entered in his blue clothing and rolled up shirt holding a cup of coffee.

"Are you alright Robert?" He asked as he handed Robert the cup.

"Thanks." Robert said as he took the mug and sipped it. "Yeah, I think so...I'll live alright. I never really got the chance to thank you for donating your blood to me. But thank you Hosea, you saved my life."

"It's alright son, I spose we're even now." Hosea smirked with a chuckle as he sat down on a chair next to him. "You also saved Mac from that terrible fate freeing him loose. Stranded in the desert is a fate worse than death from what I know. I knew someone back in 83 who was left stranded in death valley, he was on a stagecoach heading to Reno but got robbed by bandits and stranded in the desert with no food or water for 16 days. It was a miracle that he survived though he was never the same again, spent the rest of his life spouting he found God's thumb."

"Well, I might've thought the same. Then again it was my horses who rode out to get me. What exactly happened? I never got a chance to ask." Robert pondered as he took another sip.