Chapter 15: Chicago

"Come on!" John called out!

"Heave!" Bill roared out. The men had now exited the crater they foolishly fell into. And were now lifting their horses out of the crater. Bill's horse was the last as the men were tired and pissed.

"How much does Brown Jack weigh?!" John complained, his hands are struggling with the rope as he pulled his horse to lift up the hairy brown horse.

"As much as Pearson on a good night out." Davey chuckled as the brown stallion was finally pulled out .

Brown Jack finally got his hooves onto the dirt as he walked straight towards Bill.

"Come on boy! There!" Bill fed his horse with some sugar cubes.

They've spent days stuck together in the crater. They were starved, thirsty and above all humiliated. They ran out of their food rations along with any desire to go hunting down the red gunslinger. All because they landed where no-one could see them. It did seem that it was appropriately named "Blind man's crater". Since no-one bothered to check if there were 3 outlaws down there trapped until now. Thanks to Bill's ingenious method to climb out. But every time he climbed up with his lasso he kept falling and failing to get up properly. The other's just stood and laughed though John did intervene to assist the ex-soldier, mainly so he'd stop complaining.

"Right let's find that "Red Wolf" or whatever the hell he claims to be." Bill ordered as he mounted Brown Jack.

"It's been 3 days Bill. He's not around, he's really just disappeared." Davey replied back as he mounted his own steed.

"Should we track him? We can if we have to." John cut in.

"Nah, he's gonna be on the roads now. And made off with the end of years money. I'm beyond tired as well...So John..."

Davey drawled his sentence gaining the youngest's attention. Knowing his spiteful and angry comments to dramatize the stupid situation they were in.

"How are you gonna explain this to Dutch?" He finally asked, as if it were a trick question. John just scoffed. The idea this was his fault at all baffled the young man.

"Me? I swear I didn't know he'd show up!" John argued.

"And you didn't check that the terrain was unsafe for us!" Davey retorted.

"What're you talking about? Bill lead us into that crater!"

"Hey! You followed me Marston. And you Davey." Bill cut in.

The trio of men continued to argue as they rode their horses back to camp over the frosty green plains. But this arguing was going around in circles with no end in sight leaving John to cool off to the overs. He finally cut in when Davey and Bill were really gonna get more feisty with their words.

"HEY! This blame game is getting us no-where, let's just tell Dutch and hope he'll go easy on us."

"Hah! My ass, you've seen how disappointed he were with the gold mine. He's gonna rain hell on you." Davey chuckled. Though he knew that hell was gonna rain down hard on them. Especially that this supposed train job was John's lead to end the year off.

"Shut up! I'll deal with it myself." He retorted.

Some moments passed as they all said nothing to each other. Only noises that were made were from the tired horses who deserved a big rest after the chase and being stuck in a crater for the past few days. They had passed a large bison herd on the way back leaving Davey almost tempted to shoot the animals for making him remember the trap laid for him and the others.

"Well I could use a drink when we get back. Callander you up for that?" Bill spoke at last to the Callander boy. Davey looked over his shoulder with a tired expression, oh hell they need a strong drink.