Chapter 37: Yule time Showdown

The Christmas party in question was at the town hall in Jamestown. It was an annual event where anyone around was invited. The event was all taking place inside as a blizzard had come around as the wind and snow blasted everywhere and the snow had reached a foot above the ground. The stables was rammed with horses inside as more people showed up to the party as the mayor had arranged it for any travellers or towns folk.

Inside in the main hall a foot dance went on as men and women who felt the urge to dance went in as a band inside played joyful and happy Christmas music. Overall the mood was happy but for a group of people, the atmosphere was tense. Especially knowing that some were on the lookout for any law who recognised them.

There was a gun ban in the party, but that didn't stop a group of men who hid their gun-belt's in their coats or rifles disguised as Christmas presents. Dutch's gang was spread out through the building as everyone was paired up just in-case any O'Driscolls or the Red Wolf showed up.

John and Arthur were intermingling with some of the crowd but they had been keeping their eyes out. For all they needed to do was find a young man in a dark red coat and black pinched front hat. Though as they looked they didn't seem to have much look as everyone else was not matching the description. They themselves were told to dress up for the evening as Dutch had asked them to look natural, though John didn't like the vanity he was dressed in.

The younger outlaw drank some champagne though he coughed up whilst tensing in pain on his abdomen. Arthur noticed as he chuckled on the younger man though he was deeply concerned of his health.

"Careful Marston, we don't need you to spill your guts and ruin everything." Arthur teased as he leaned against the wall, looking at the shirt John was wearing hoping the stiches weren't ripped and that it didn't stain red.

"Oh I'll be careful Morgan. I'm hands on the situation, unlike you for instance." The younger man retorted, in a similar manner before lighting up his cigarette. Arthur though scoffed as he stood up.

"This all started cause you didn't tell us about him. How you knew some boy who ran away from you all those years ago. How you recognised him and yet instead thinking logically you caught yourself with your own arrogance. You escalated things too far and now look at us." Arthur said accusingly as he looked back at John.

"I'd rather not look at you Arthur, your just as much to blame as me. Weren't my fault you lost out at the Gold mine. And how you weren't quicker than him in the duel." John retorted back in the same tone.

"That was just one of those things. Mac didn't help us out either." Arthur said back as he looked to see Mac near the entrance with Bill who were both smoking. Mac made a glance at Arthur but he soon turned away.

"Why'd you think he go soft on him?" John asked as he felt the same thing. "Heard he met back up with him some weeks prior but didn't do much. I'd have figured he'd take his machete and slash him to pieces for what happened to Davey."

Arthur sighed whilst he stroked his chin. "I don't know, won't matter anymore. Once we deal with him and lie low, this'll all be a memory."

"I don't know what to think on that. Bill and Davey were more inclined to end him at the ranch." The younger man commented remembering back on how he was the most hesitant to pull a gun on Robert.

"They're just vicious bastards wanting an excuse to kill. You know Davey's always been like that." Arthur reminded as he too began to light his own cigarette though the movement of his hands hurt as he dropped his matches. John picked them up and lit the match as Arthur took it and inhaled as John put out his cigarette into a plant.

"I know, it's still a complex situation we're all in."

"Your smart John, at least you have more brains than them 2. Though then again, you listened to Bill's stupid plan."