Chapter 41: Mary-Beth Gaskill

February 8th 1894

Arizona was a state filled with lawlessness. The snow in the desert was starting to melt though the cold was still present. The gang was settled however in a forest and the snow had almost gone, but it was present in some areas. For they had finally settled in Prescott.

The travel down south was through many train travels down. Dutch and Hosea had split up the gang into separate groups to avoid detections. Which luckily worked and everyone was able to meet up at the rendezvous in Prescott Valley where they intend to camp in for the rest of the year.

The mood was bright and positive as Dutch had made several speeches on the move. Everyone seemed to be onboard with it, even Robert was onboard with it all. Even though he was even further from North Dakota than he thought he would be and that he would have to get used to the heat when it would come. 

In the days since his talk with Mac he had stopped his heavy drinking and had made some form of effort on improving his depression, which he made by doing what he enjoyed doing. Hunting, whether it was a bounty or for meat, he did it and he did for the gang. Despite his posh clothing choices he was certainly a hunter. He caught whatever game was out there in the wild and any bounty's available for local settlements. He was a hunter, a lone Wolf.

Though he had thought about Mac's words from before. Did he want to get attached to this gang? They weren't the Wolves. There was no Brotherhood with this gang. As far as he knows he shares nothing with any of them aside from Mac and Dutch. Hell he doesn't even share much with Marston. But that's a different situation altogether.

He had been on a couple bounty hunting jobs by himself. They were dangerous jobs but he didn't mind as he loved the thrill and adventure of the hunt. Targeting a couple outlaws on the posters but it wasn't like the same he had in Jamestown. But he enjoyed it none the less.

Though he did keep getting lectured by Susan to put half of his earnings in the box. He didn't like this arrangement as he had to get used to the system. So to compensate he went after high valued bounties. It was tiring but he thought it was worth the actions.

Some had made comments on his vanity and how he had his own setups and on how his clothes were kept clean and ironed. Though he didn't care one bit, it was who he was and he wasn't changing. The antagonizing comments made by some of the members had decreased, though the level of resentment was still apparent for some.

On this day he had dressed in his traditional red wolf attire and had just returned from a bounty hunt of a crooked outlaw, to then go on to hunt a whitetail buck deer, a pair of rabbits and a large turkey. He was exhausted wanting to rest but till he delivered them to the camps cook.

"Hello Red Wolf! Nice to see decent sizes." Pearson said as Robert put the rabbits and turkey on the table before throwing the skinned deer onto the ground next to the man. Pearson had seemed to have appreciated Robert from moment he joined the gang. As Robert seemed like a reliable hunter for the gang and that he appreciated his donations to the camp the most.

"I hunt to please." Robert quipped as he helped Pearson to hang the deer up for the salting. The fat man just chuckled as he was proud to see the large quantities of meat.

"So you'd say, it's a lot better than what Mister Morgan brought in earlier. A pronghorn with a stomach filled with lead."

"If your gonna make anyone eat it, make sure it's him." Robert chuckled as he crossed his arms. And he made his way to the donations box.

Pearson just chuckled along as he went back to cooking. Robert had then wrote in his donations into the box which included some of his bounty pay and whatever the bounty had on his person.