Chapter 5: Mac Callander

July 14th 1873

Some time had passed since Veronika Reznov had moved in with John Richardson. In that time she had become more accustomed to his way of life. She began to be more friendly with some people on the street and her English was getting better by the day. John in the mean time had been pressed on his workings at the port, he was doing what he did best which was to work and work till death, although he did like the fact that now for the past months he was heading home to a cleaner flat. Veronika had been keeping her word as she worked as a cleaner for him. Although he didn't pay her very well, she just didn't mind and seemed to be grateful to just have a place to stay.

Although John was feeling that she would eye him up some times, maybe out of fear or paranoia but he wasn't sure. And he didn't even know why she was so used to being around. Fagin had gone dark on him as after her arrival, he had been hiding away but he had also only been seen at work being quiet. So it is a mystery of how a grumpy man who had a lot to say was now becoming a quiet old hermit.

Though secrets will be revealed in time as John thought to himself. So out of curiosity one day he decided to investigate himself on what Fagin and Veronika had been quiet about. He had returned earlier than usual and he had expected Veronika to still be in the flat, though as it turned out she wasn't there. Looking onto his kitchenette he saw a note simply saying "Gone out, for food. Be back soon".

With the opportunity given, he went into her satchel beside the couch. His search was immediately ended the moment he pulled out an egg. An egg? But it was rather strange. It was made of gold! With many crystals or diamonds decorated around the sides. Shock overcame the young man as he sat on the floor bewildered with what he was seeing! This girl had treasure on her the whole damn time he thought!

Putting the golden egg on the floor he then reached further into the satchel pulling more golden eggs and now full on silver chains or necklaces and a few rings, broaches, even a full on silver plate. Then he pulled the last item out. They looked a lot like the Crown Jewels the Queen had in London. But that can't be true, the girl had been on a boat from Russia and if she did steal these jewels and treasure then it would have made the newspapers of the theft. Betrayal then sunk into John.

For he had allowed this girl to live with him and be cosy and yet she never told him why she had all these jewels on her! Anger sat in as he swore to himself and kicking the broom off the wall as it landed on the floor with a dramatic thud.

How dare this young girl go into his home and bring such valuables in without telling him!?  For he gave her a home and a job out of his own kindness and yet she never showed him any thanks or gratefulness to him. He knew something was up, he should have known ever since he saw that pearl on her. Not that it no longer mattered now. For this was no heirloom but a perhaps stolen jewel! Was she here to rob him too!?

~

Walking up the stairs, Veronika held her groceries tightly as she hummed a song to herself.

"Калинка, калинка, калинка моя! В саду ягода малинка, малинка моя! Сосенушка ты зелёная, Не шуми ты надо мной, Ай люли, люли, ай, люли, люли, Не шуми ты надо мной, Красавица, душа-девица, Полюби же ты меня, Ай, люли, люли, aй, люли, люли, Полюби же ты меня!" Was what she sung as a beautifully like a songbird. Twas a song that she loved to sing, she didn't quite know the lyrics but it was something her parents taught her. To her learning that song was a treasure memory for her.

Approaching the door she was rustling about with her keys till she noticed the lock on the door was already unlocked. The blonde was curious as to why the door was left like that she thought. Pushing the door forward she entered into the same flat that had been her home for a few months. Placing her leather bag onto the kitchenette table she took out the many tinned food and fruit & vegetables she  had bought. So why was the door left open she thought?