2

*Lana's POV*

"Everyone is whispering about me. I think. Or am I just high? Am I going crazy? No one even cares why would they be whispering. Im being paranoid." My thoughts were running wild.

Out the corner of my eye I could see a group of cheerleaders at the front of the bus all whispering to each other and taking glances at me.

"They're definitely talking about me. Do I care? I don't think I do but maybe I do. Oh well, this is just going to be another year of ignoring shit I guess. I'm only here to pass and make mum happy. I can do this."

A heavy sigh left my chest and I leant into the window, it fogged up from the winter air. I gently traced my finger against the mist, creating jagged lines in time to the music in my ears, but then the bus started to move and I suddenly felt someone sit down next to me.

"Oh my god. Leave me alone." Is all I think and I turn my head to shoot some serious evils. But it's just Eddie Munson, which takes me back as I suddenly remember his existence.

What could he want?

Slightly less disgruntled, I went to lean back into the window and just ignore him but interrupts my music by saying something.

"Hey Lana H-$$}$**$$]$$+"

I couldn't hear him over the guitar playing from my Walkman so I slowly moved one of my headphones off my ear, confused as to why he was there.

"I couldn't hear you." I shot a quick smile so as not to seem too impolite but my voice is flat and tired. "What did you say?"

He laughed awkwardly.

"I just said hi how you doing? It's been a while Lana, just wanted to make sure you're okay."

It's been like eight years since we were friends why does he care? He probably wants something from me. I bet Billy's gone around saying I'm easy or something.

"I'm fine. How about you?" I lie, not looking at his face.

"Um I'm good, like really good actually, I'm getting a van soon so no more bus for me... you could always join too so you don't have to take this shitty bus either. It might be fun." He laughed awkwardly again.

What? This is so weird. Why is he talking to me right now let alone inviting me to drive to school with him? But wait... van... that's a vehicle... that means.... He can get me out of this place.

A small smile crept onto my lips.

What if this time I use the man? What if this time I somehow flip the script around so that I win and the man loses? What if this time I let the man think he's winning but I'm already a step ahead? What if this is the man to get me out of this town for real?

"Yeh it might be fun." I answer and look at Eddie properly this time.

I don't usually really look at someone when I look at them. I don't like eye contact, I don't like my face being stared at, so I rarely look closely at someone when they're talking to me.

Eddie's changed. He's kind of hot now. What the fuck happened? Well shit, maybe this van plan is going to be easier than I thought.

"Oh!... Cool!... Do you wanna like hang out after school today and catch up? Reminisce on the old times. I'm sure Wayne would love to see you too. The place is still a mess-"

"Yeh I'll see you tonight Eddie. Just please let me listen to my music now." I cut off his rambling with an awkward, forced laugh.

I just want to be left alone. I hope that wasn't too rude.

"Oh yeh of course. See you later Lana." His tone was less excited than a moment prior, more flat now, probably to match mine, and he stood up to go to the back of the bus where his friends were.

Am I actually going to see him tonight? We'll see how today goes I guess.