Chapter 14: "Expansion"

[2 weeks later...]
[Narrator's POV / 8:00 AM, 31.7.1097 / R.I. Landship]

It was quiet on the landship. The doctor and some of her companions were handling the course of the ship. Where were they heading? Chernobog. Even though the city has long been abandoned, there is still something to examine. 

Doctor: I don't think we should go there Kal'tsit. There is nothing to see in Chernobog.

Kal'tsit: That's what you think, something has been happening there for the past few days. And we need to know what is going on. Some of the Reunion members have been leaving their HQ. I've been checking the news from each city, Lungmen for the most part. People there claimed to have seen deformed people, and some soldiers.

Doctor: Ursine military?

Kal'tsit: Nope, they wear helmets, and black and red clothes, some of them are equipped with an Exo-suit, and they carry firearms. Speaking of Lungmen news, let's see what they say now.

She went to her monitor and changed it to the Lungmen news.

Reporter: ...now back to Chernobog. We managed to see what was going on by contacting a soldier there. He answered with a letter to us. It says as follows:

"You want to know what is going on? Sure. Chernobog is under the Zone, a 60 km radius around the city. A catastrophe had hit it, and many more will. It is no longer inhabitable, we are no ordinary people, we are here to destroy the Zone and everything inside it. We are Duty, we serve to protect people from the horrors of the zone. Chernobog doesn't only have Reunion and infected monsters, no, it has mutants, anomalies, bandits, and many more. That's why all of you were getting news of people coming back to Chernobog. We aren't the military, we aren't mercenaries, we aren't terrorists. We are protecting all of you from the zone's expansion.

-I.G. 'Doc', founder of Duty"

Reporter: Well, you heard it, folks. Stay out of the so-called Zone and be safe.

The screen went black and the doctor spoke.

Doctor: I guess we should search Chernobog.

As the landship was going towards the city a siren was heard with a man's voice coming from it.

???: The zone poses mortal danger, we are here to protect you from the zone, not the zone from you. Do not jeopardize your life, do not try to penetrate into the secured area.

Doctor: I think we should reconsider our decisions.

Kal'tsit: No, we are going there no matter what.

[With Igor...]

I was fighting three rookies at once, it was a part of the training I was giving them. They almost gained an upper hand, but that was cut down shortly. One managed to knock the air out of me, but I managed to recover and get back to the fight. I managed to knock him off his legs and he dropped down, giving him a headbutt he dropped down in pain. The other two had different plans to take me down, one grabbed my arms while the other one repeatedly punched me in the stomach, the body armor is a savior. I kick the side of the one punching me, and he went down in pain, and headbutt the one holding me in the chin, he was stunned before getting knocked to the ground.

Igor: You three did alright. Just make this fight more aggressive when it comes to fighting with enemies. Go get checked up and meet me at 1500 hours sharp.

I left the training area, the Duty base got expanded in the past two weeks, and we managed to take an old military garrison.

[Timeksip]

Igor: Attention! You managed to pass the training, you are now officially Duty soldiers. And what will you do as Duty soldiers?

Crowd: Protect the people and wipe the filth of the Zone!

Igor: Don't be fooled because you managed to get here. You are still rookies! But I'm still proud you got here. As your first order, you will scout the city for any potential threat, or another faction. When you finish, report to me. These sergeants will choose some of you to accompany them. I wish you luck. 

I left the garrison and to the cafeteria to eat something. As I was going I saw many soldiers either guarding or patrolling the area. The place is cleaner than before since I got more people. I enter that cafeteria. I see Gummy along with other cooks giving out meals.

Igor: Hello lads.

Cook: Oh, hello general.

Igor: You still got my favorites?

Cook: You are right on time, we almost ran out.

Igor: Perfect.

Cook: Oh and Gummy wanted to give you a desert.

Igor: Really?

Gummy: Yup! That's my thank you for letting us stay here.

Igor: You didn't have to, but I'll take it anyway. And you're welcome.

She walked off to do her own stuff.

Cook: Sad that she will have to go.

Igor: Indeed.

I take my food and go to the nearest empty table and eat my lunch there. I think I should go out exploring to see if something has changed outside the base. It has been some time since I had a real adventure. Maybe I'll bring the 4 along with me.

[Meanwhile...]

Doctor: We can't go any further than this. 

Kal'tsit: We shall go on foot, we will do that tomorrow.

Doctor: I agree. I'm getting something to eat.

Kal'tsit: Bye.

The doctor left the bridge to the cafeteria while Kal'tsit stayed there, thinking about what could be hiding in the city.

Kal'tsit: How could this even happen...originium can't turn people into these 'mutants'.

To be continued...