Chapter 21: "Lost to the Zone"

[Narrator's POV]

The two demolitions were running like it was their last marathon through the tunnels, they've seen the group of Rhodes Island operators up ahead and warned them of the incoming situation.

Vadim: Leg it! It's gonna blow! It has enough power to crumble the entire tunnel system!

Vadim yelled at them and they started to go at a quicker pace. 

Igor(R): Hope this will go quickly, and I hope you are out of the tunnel.

He was heard saying that on the radio and the explosions went off from across the tunnel. 

Vadim: Get the rope ready Andrei!

He said over the radio. They managed to get to the ladders that lead to the exit, a rope at the end. Vadim and the other demolition attached the rope to their belt.

Vadim: Hold on tight to the rope, it's going to pull us up.

He ordered trying not to waste a second. When all of them were on the rope he signaled the others above to pull, moments later they were pulled up one by one. The ground started shaking, and the ceiling above cracked; it was getting closer. Scavenger was the one who almost bit the dust but was pulled at the last second.

Vadim: Now that everyone is here, let's get out of here before it gets worse!

With those words said they all rushed out of the building, ignoring the incoming fire from enemy units, then at that moment the ground shook and made a sinkhole in the dead center of their base, the Brain Scorcher was destroyed during the process, and barracks destroyed, and the soldiers falling unconscious.

Rosa: Thank God we escaped in one peace- Wait, where is Igor?

Vadim: He did not make it. He wanted to make the sacrifice. Even though it was not needed. Let's go, we need to report this and go to the next objective.

They all listened and went back to Duty base, Rosa stared back at the sight for a moment before going with them.

[Timeskip]

The base was left demoralized after the news of the commander's death, they made a plaque in his honor, and gathered around a fire, even though it was raining the fire didn't put out like that, with one of the soldiers playing a depressing yet beautiful tune on a guitar.

Soldier#1: We got to finish what he started boys. May he go to heaven, he's already seen hell.

A soldier said in a determined tone, he got up and saluted for a moment. Soon, everyone else joined him, they stood there for 10 minutes with no words said. But all things come to an end and they sat around the fire.

Vadim: I remember he told someone that there is no time to mourn in combat. It can get you killed. 

Soldier#6: He might not be dead, a man with a goal can do anything. There is a slim chance he might have survived it.

Soldier#7: Immortal as fire and rigid as granite. He said that every time to the recruits before they started training. 

Vadim: Get inside lads, the last blowout is coming right at us.

He said to them, and they all slowly entered the safety of the buildings still discussing what Igor would do if he was here.

[Meanwhile]

Kal'tsit: What is their plan now?

Doctor: They clean this place from any stalkers, mutants, and so on. And make sure the city is free of danger.

Kal'tsit: That was Igor's plan?

Doctor: That's what they said. And they said they don't need our help with that. I tried to persuade them, but they won't budge. So it is best we leave as soon as we can.

Kal'tsit: I guess you're right.

They were walking back to their landship to leave Chernobog. But they encountered the Reunion, which soon resulted in a fight.

[The Monolith base / 19:00 / 2 weeks after the raid]

Igor's body was there laying on the wall, still smoking from the explosions, and bloodied from the battle. It seemed that he was dead. Until.

*slap*

Roki: Oi! No dosing! Job's not done until I say it's done.

Igor inhaled and coughed up some blood before getting fully awake.

Igor: Wha-what the fuck? *cough*

Roki: You've been sleeping for two weeks aka a coma.

Igor: Two weeks?

Roki: Yes, and you look like you need to change your clothes. I don't think these are good now. Now get going.

He disappeared and left him on his own. Igor turned on his Geiger counter and the thing went nuts until it broke.

Igor: Congratulations, I'm irradiated. Perfect!

He then continued down the tunnel, over the rubble to find the exit and continue this adventure. As he got close to the exit he heard a voice, or rather voices in his head which caused him to hold his head in pain.

???1: Your book...

???2: It's been sold multiple times by Loners and bandits...

???5: Find it, before it is too late...

???3: Or if it goes to the wrong hands...

???4: We may have been enemies...

???6: But let's settle this and let me help you.

After those words, his head stopped hurting.

Igor: Fucking radiation.

He started climbing the ladder to the exit...

...
....
......
.......

What a thrill~

To be continued...