Chapter 7: The Rumor

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 7: The Rumor ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

I was still shaken up with the conversation I had with Uncle Greg. Was he right? I thought dad had changed, but then again he was keeping secrets from me again. I resumed working on the device to communicate with Astra in the lab, trying my best to distract myself from that talk. Nevertheless, his words remained on replay in my head.

"Hello? Is anyone out there?" Astra's voice rang out. 

I snapped out of my thoughts as I glanced down at the comlink I spent a week on. Was I imagining things or did I hear my sister's voice? I then heard her voice through the comlink again.

"Is anyone out there? This is Commander Astra Stark." She mentioned.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "It's me, Ash."

"Ro-Ro? Is that you?" Astra questioned, sounding excited.

Astra, mom, and dad were the only ones who called me that name. However, my sister knew I wasn't exactly fond of that name, so we made a deal that she could call me that nickname when it was just the two of us. Although over time as we grew older, she also called me Rose, which I preferred. Meanwhile, I called her Ash.

"Yeah, it's me." I confirmed.

"What happened to you? I tried to contact you, but I couldn't reach you. I...I feared the worst. But I had a feeling you weren't dead. I just knew." She mentioned.

It was hard to explain, but Astra and I had a connection, unlike anyone else. This connection was strong even before Astra and I were trained in the ways of the Force. However as we grew stronger in the Force, our bond also strengthened. When one was in pain, the other felt pain as well, which made me feel guilty. No doubt Astra could feel everything I had gone through when I crash landed.

"What happened?" She insisted. "And don't you dare lie to me."

I let out a sigh, knowing there's no way I could lie to her. So with that, I told her that I had crash landed, how I was wounded, and how I was rushed to the hospital. I then proceeded to tell her about Christine and Stephen, two doctors who saved my life. Once I finished telling her everything, she remained silent for what felt like a long while.

"Astra?" I called out, worried.

"And you're all right now?" She asked, finally speaking.

"Yes, I'm all better now." I reassured her. "I rested, so I am a hundred percent."

Astra let out a sigh of relief. "Good, you need to stop getting hurt like that. You make us all worried."

"I know, I'm sorry." I mentioned.

"So, is the Doctor Strange handsome?" She teased, changing the subject.

I groaned. Not her too. Just imagine if she found out Natasha and Clint were also giving me a hard time with Stephen. Immediately, I replied. "Yes, he is. But we're just friends, Astra."

"You remained in contact with him?!" She squealed.

"Yes, but it's not what you think." I began.

Immediately, she cut me off, not believing me at all. "Oh, sure. Listen, Aurora, isn't it about time you find someone? It's been years since what happened with Grant."

She was right, and I was over that man. However, that didn't mean I wanted to find love again. Immediately, I changed it, directing it towards her. "I could say the same about you."

There was nothing but silence on the other end. I knew it was a low blow, but I couldn't take it. I wanted everyone to stop asking when I was going to go out again.