Chapter 42: The Inhuman Who Cried Wolf

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 42: The Inhuman Who Cried Wolf⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Bobbi, May, Astra, and I waited outside as the board would decide whether to agree with Coulson's offer or not. I hoped they would, but I was baffled at his proposal. Why would Coulson want me on the board? He had May, surely that was enough, right?

"I thought you'd be happier. Or at least content. Things are getting back to the way they were." Bobbi mentioned.

"Are they?" I retorted.

"You really believe that?" May chimed in. "Or do you hope if you forgive Coulson, Hunter will do the same for you?"

Ouch. I would've defended Bobbi, but after the little stunt she pulled, I didn't know what to think anymore. We then made our way into an empty room. It wasn't long until we heard an alarm blaring, causing us to all meet up in the control room, where Gonzales, Coulson, Hunter, Weaver, and Oliver were. On the screens, we saw footage of Gordon and Raina walking through the hallways of the ship. My eyes widened. What are they doing here?

"It's the teleporter." Coulson announced.

"They're going for the cargo on the lower deck." Gonzales warned.

They were gone by the time May and Bobbi went down into the room with the cargo Gonzales mentioned. When they returned, the file of Raina was thrown up on the big screen along with images of the cargo, which was a black giant rock. I knew it was more than that, especially if Gonzales was so interested in it and now Raina was. Gonzales wore a troubled look.

"Should have destroyed it when we had the chance." Gonzales said.

"You know we couldn't risk it." Bobbi mentioned.

"There were too many variables." Weaver chimed in.

"So this is alien." May commented.

"Recovered from a dig site nearly a hundred years ago." Gonzales informed us.

"Its energy signatures are unlike anything we've seen before." Weaver explained.

I stared in awe. How extraordinary. I glanced over at Hunter to see him doodling on a picture of Raina's file, adding quills to her face. Real mature, Hunter.

"Mm. And does anyone have any idea what alien world it came from or what it even does?" Hunter asked.

Bobbi shot him a a warning look. The entire room fell silent. Looks like no one knew a thing.

"Well, this new S.H.I.E.L.D. brain trust seems to be working out brilliantly." Hunter retorted.

"Well, since you seem so talkative, why don't you give us an idea." I shot back.

"Gladly, love. You and your sister are both aliens." Hunter pointed out, earning warning looks from Astra and me. He raised his hands. "Don't give me those looks, I was merely suggesting if there's a chance you two have come across something like this before?"

A giant rock like this? Nope, not ever. I've never seen anything like this. Astra and I exchanged a look, shaking our heads.

"No, not ever." I said.

"Unfortunately." Astra chimed in.

"Anything about it in Fury's toolbox?" Gonzales intervened.

"Just that Hydra was looking for it." Coulson mentioned.

"Well, now you have a new interested party." Bobbi pointed out.

"The question is, why?" Gonzales asked.

°☆゚. * ・ 。゚°☆゚. * ・ 。゚°☆゚. * ・ 。゚

After that discussion, May, Coulson, Astra, and I returned to base, being greeted by Jemma and Fitz, who were happy to see us. Jemma and Fitz rushed towards us, giving us hugs. It was good to be back.