Chapter 8: Making Things Right

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 8: Making Things Right⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Despite raising his voice, his words sounded gentle. I never thought I'd hear him say anything of the sort to me. For a moment, I thought I had imagined those words. But Stephen looked at me with gentle eyes, waiting for me to say something.

"What?" I questioned, saying the only thing I could as my brain short circuited.

Stephen looked hesistant, but he continued on as he gently placed his hands on my shoulders. "The public finally realizes you're back and it's only a matter of time until you are busy. And then we'll hardly see each other again."

I stared at him in shock, completely baffled. I never thought he'd say anything of the sort. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. However, a part of me felt relieved that it wasn't what I had originally thought and yet, I felt a pang of guilt. I felt like such a jerk for assuming he was using this as a way to up his status...when in reality, he just wanted to spend more time with me, make sure I didn't forget him. But how could I? He had been nothing but kind minus the time Stephen first checked up on me after the procedure and that time when he confronted me about being Aurora Stark.

"I don't want you to forget me." Stephen added. "I just wanted you to give me a chance to go out...and then this happened, so I thought about telling a white lie to keep you close. I should've asked you first....I know that now."

His words tugged at my heart strings. But then my heart clenched. I can't believe Stephen would think that I'd forget him and stop spending with him. Without thinking, I raised a hand, placing it over one of his hands. He immediately tensed upon my touch. My heart clenched, thinking he would pull away from my touch. However, to my disbelief, he intertwined his fingers with mine. I felt a spark as soon as his fingers met mine. His hands felt warm, distracting me. I mentally shook my head. No, stop that, Aurora.

"Oh Stephen. I could never forget you. You've been such a great friend." I assured him.

"Yes, a great friend, which you've said before. But that's not what I want. Does that mean you'll give me a chance?" He asked. "I've said many times before that I can be great boyfriend, and I mean it, Aurora."

Stephen had his moments where he could be kind, but he was still very cocky and arrogant, so I wasn't sure if this was a good idea. I hesitated. "I don't know."

"Just imagine, we'd be the best and most powerful couple out there." He insisted. "There's no one else I'd rather have by my side than the great Aurora Stark."

There he goes again. Just when I thought he had changed...He'd only break my heart. He sees things in a different way. Besides I'm not interested in him that way. Stephen's a good friend, but that's all. Stephen stared at me, anxiously awaiting for my response. I didn't wish to hurt him.

"I'm sorry, Stephen, but I'm not interested in dating anyone at the moment...I'm just not ready to be honest." I mentioned. "I'm so sorry."

I dared to look up at his face to see a devastated and crushed look, making my heart clench. I hated to see him like this. However, I couldn't risk going out again, not after what I went through in the past.

"Stephen..." I began.

Immediately, he shook his head, pulling away from my touch. He then cut me off. "No, don't start. I understand perfectly well."

"I'd still love to be friends, Stephen. I don't want to cut off contact with you." I mentioned.

I watched as he gave me a small smile. "Friends? Yeah, I'd like that."

My shoulders slumped in relief. "Good. And hey, if you ever try something like that again, can you come to me first. I don't know what goes on in that intriguing mind of yours. Okay?"