Chapter 21: Facing Senator Ward

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 21: Facing Senator Ward⍟ ⎊ ⧗

With my answer, Coulson allowed me to stay on the missions involving the Calliope Corporation, my uncle. and my brother. Days went by and we discovered there was an attack on the U.N., leaving six dead and many injured, including the Air Force General Talbot, who Coulson told me much about. Let's say Talbot wasn't a fan of S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore, especially now as we learned Hydra attacked the U.N., posing as us to frame us, which they sucessfully did. The person who led the attack was Marcus Scarlotti. He was an assassin who nearly killed Clint years ago. I remember him. He ran teams of mercenaries, but most of them connected to Hydra. Currently, I was in Coulson's office with Skye and Coulson, watching the news, where we saw Senator Christian Ward, Grant's older brother being interviewed.  

"S.H.I.E.L.D. is a terrorist organization, and they should be treated as such!" Christian spat.

"Is that what you plan to speak about at the U.N.'s emergency session tomorrow?" The reporter interviewing him questioned.

"What I plan to do is lay out a proposal for a multi-national police force that will target those suspected of ties with S.H.I.E.L.D. Using any and all means necessary." Christian explained.

I grimaced. This wasn't good at all. Coulson, Skye, and I exchanged looks. Grant may not opened up about many things, but he did tell me about his family, especially about his brother. His family wasn't the best. Christian loved to torment his younger brother, Thomas, and he enjoyed getting Grant to do his dirty bidding. I even met with Christian, and I knew he was the type of person who you don't want to be enemies with. At that moment, Minister of Belgian Foreign Affairs Beckers spoke up. "Anyone suspected of ties? And who determines that? Belgium will never accept this proposal. It destroys the very idea of citizens' rights."

"Mr. Beckers, if you want to welcome S.H.I.E.L.D. at your borders with open arms, be my guest, but this infestation needs to be exterminated." Christian retorted.

"Guess being a douche-bag runs in the family." Skye quipped.

"Are you surprised?" Coulson inquired.

"Ward's brother never cared about S.H.I.E.L.D. before." Skye commented.

"Not openly." I stated.

"Yeah, but Hunter said that Talbot was working with a senator who had deep pockets. You think it's him?" Skye questioned.

"I do." Coulson confirmed before he turned off the news, switching over to a map of our operatives and assets. "Months rebuilding, and this is S.H.I.E.L.D. Few operatives here, not many more out there. If Senator Ward's proposal passes..."

"It'll be a witch-hunt." Skye mentioned, finishing his sentence.

"Every military organization on the planet will have a license to kick our operatives' doors down and shoot them on the spot. I can't let that happen." Coulson advised.

"I'll talk to Ward, see if he has any intel on his brother." Skye offered.

Coulson gave her a nod. Just as she was about to leave, Coulson spoke up, stopping her. "And, Skye...keep the focus on his family, not yours."

Once Skye left, Coulson turned to face me. "Did Ward ever talk about his brother?"

"Grant remained a mysterious man, but he told much about him. And sometimes it's not what he says that tells you much." I said.

"Which is?" Coulson inquired.

"Christian is just as dangerous as Grant. I also met with him before. Figured out a lot about him from just one meeting. Christian is not someone you want as an enemy. Every move he does benefits him, he has an angle to everything he does." I explained.