Chapter 29: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Coming

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 29: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Coming⍟ ⎊ ⧗

I then quickly made my way back to the Cage, where Skye and Astra already were. Astra and Skye knew something was up as Skye spoke up. "What did you tell Simmons?"

"What she needed to hear." I said. 

Skye looked at me, more puzzled than ever. However Astra knew better. She crossed her arms as she gave me a stern look.

"Oh don't give me that look. Ever since we changed, she's treated us differently. Like we're some virus that needs to be cured." I protested, defending my actions.

Not long after I arrived, Jemma returned with my braces in her hand. She wore a grim look when she saw me. My heart clenched. Maybe I was a bit too harsh...

"Jemma, about earlier..." I began.

"Water under the bridge. You have a point, Aurora. I'm terribly sorry." Jemma assured me with a smile. "You are all our friends, we should be helping, not pushing you away. I know you all heard us talking in the lounge. None of us meant any of it."

"Sounded like you all did." I retorted, earning a glare from Astra.

"Aurora." My sister scolded.

"What?" I shrugged.

"Just for once, shut up." Astra retorted.

I narrowed my eyes, but I remained silent. Astra then turned back to Jemma. "I'm sorry, Jemma. I trust there will be no further interruptions. Continue on."

"I want you to know that we wish to help you. We, I, want you all to get better." Jemma explained.

Jemma seemed to genuinely care, but I still felt conflicted by the words she used. She still thought we had some illness that we needed to be cured of. I remained silent, looking anywhere but at Jemma.

"Right. Uh, well, I also came to give you back your braces, Aurora." Jemma spoke up, breaking the silence.

I glanced back at Jemma to see a dejected look on her face. My heart clenched. She probably didn't mean any harm. She wanted to help us, even if she didn't realize the words she used weren't the best choice. I didn't have to use the Force to know she was being genuine. As she handed me the braces, I muttered a thanks. Jemma cracked a smile as she gave me a small nod.

Then she took off. Once she left, we began to play operation. Skye went for the ankle bone, but she hit the corner with the tweezers, activating the buzzer. Immedately, his red nose lit up. Skye immediately groaned. "Ah. No."

Astra and I snickered, watching in amusement. I bet Stephen is great at this game. All of the sudden, Coulson's voice rang out. "Ankle bone's always the toughest."

We then glanced over to see him at the door. Skye grimaced, putting the game down. "Yeah. Maybe a game of nerves isn't the best idea for me...for any of us."

"The three of you and I need to take a ride." Coulson mentioned.

I grimaced. I didn't like the sound of that. Skye didn't either as she immediately responded. "Okay. But why am I suddenly feeling like old yeller right now?"

Coulson looked taken back. A small smile appeared on his face as he responded. "Kind of surprised you know the reference."

"I've had a lot of downtime lately." Skye mentioned.

"That and Fitz really wants a dog." Astra chimed in.

"He was the one that urged Skye to watch it Astra and I've already seen it." I added. "Uncle Happy showed it to us when we were ten."