Chapter 4: The Truth

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 4: The Truth⍟ ⎊ ⧗

With that in mind, I texted him back.

-Maybe, maybe not.

-I'll get that answer from you. I have to prepare for another surgery, but are you free for our dinner on Friday?

I mentally groaned. Oh right, I lost the bet to Stephen and now I owe him a dinner. How fun. Better remind him before he gets any clever or slick ideas. Dating is definitely not my style. Well, more like romance wasn't meant to be for me.

-Sure, but just so you know it's one dinner.

-You say that now, but wait until you are met with the Strange charm.

I snickered. Oh yeah right. If anything, I know I'll be fighting the urge not to walk out that restaurant door within the first five minutes.

-Strange is definitely a word I'd use for your charm.

-You laugh now, just you wait.

-Oh sure, I'll be waiting.

-Careful what you wish for, Aurora.

-Bring it on, trauma trooper!

That's where our conversation ended. Friday took forever to come, but it had finally arrived. I wasn't sure why but I felt butterflies in my stomach. It's just a dinner with a friend, that's all it is. We're just friends, going on a date because I lost a stupid bet. During the week, I took it easy, resting or in the lab, helping out dad and Bruce with their projects. I was filled in on everything that happened while I was gone, discovering S.H.I.E.L.D. had fallen as there were several Hydra agents within the agency, acting as sleeper agents, the Avengers were formed, aliens are now known to the people of Earth, Loki killed Coulson, but he was miraculously brought back to life, but none of the Avengers knew that, and that S.H.I.E.L.D. now worked in the shadows as the world governments saw the agency as a terrorist organization, thanks to Hydra. I stared in the mirror, observing my outfit. I wore an off the shoulder black elegant blouse with a print of tiny roses, white skinny jeans, and a pair of small heeled boots. My makeup was already done along with my hair, which I had slightly curled. I wore a necklace with a crest of Alderaan, which was the symbol of the House of Organa, and it was embedded with the symbol of the Jedi and it was also a locket. Inside there was a holopic of my mom, Astra, and me smiling at each other. Those were simplier days. Jarvis's voice rang out. "Miss Stark, this is your reminder that it is time to leave. Your five-thirty date is nearly at the coordinates."

Growing up with dad, I was used to the A.I.'s voice breaking the silence back in our homes. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss his voice. I had Jarvis remind me when I should leave, making my way to Columbus park. I didn't want Stephen to know that I am a Stark, especially since Coulson lied about me being his daughter to Christine, and then she told Stephen. Besides, it was better if they didn't know I am a Stark. Growing up, many people befriended me just to get close to my dad or to become famous by just being around me. It was excruciating and frustrating, but along the way, I found friends who didn't care about that. What mattered to them what was on the inside.

"Copy that. Thanks Jarvis." I thanked.

"Of course, Miss Stark." He replied.

With that I took one last look in the mirror before I grabbed my purse, walking out of my room. I hadn't made it five feet away from my room when I was approached by Natasha. She wore a smirk on her face.

"Someone's dolled up." She teased. "Who's the lucky guy?"

My eyes widened. "What? There's no guy, Nat. Honestly I can't get dressed up like this for myself once and a while?"