Chapter 47: Happy Birthday, Stephen

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 47: Happy Birthday, Stephen ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

~November 18th, 2015~

Months went by and I returned to work at S.H.I.E.L.D. It led to another argument with Stephen. We spent a few days without talking to each other once again, but it led to me promising to spend time with him no matter how busy I was. Then we were back to normal as though nothing happened. Today is Stephen's birthday. I wanted to throw something spectacular, wanting his birthday to be one he will remember, just like he did for me.

I woke up earlier than usual, having spent the night at Stephen's penthouse, I made my way towards the kitchen. It was a chilly morning, so I threw over one of Stephen's sweaters over my clothes. The sweater was gray and of the college he went to, which was Columbia University. Once I reached the kitchen, I grabbed the pans and placed them on the stove, prepared to make his favorite food for breakfast. I would make an omlette along with his favorite pastry, and a cup of coffee, the way he liked it with a bit of creamer and sugar, but mostly coffee grounds. As I was almost done, I felt someone's presence behind me. I immediately turned to see Stephen, trying to sneak upon me. However, I caught him. Stephen let out a groan.

"I don't know how you do it, but it's no unfair." Stephen said.

"You need to get better at sneaking up then." I quipped.

"One day I will, mark my words." He informed me. His eyes then fell on the sweater I was wearing. He stared in awe and shock before blurting out. "That's...mine."

"It was cold, I needed a sweater." I explained.

A smile grew on his face. "You can keep it for now. You look good in it."

My heart fluttered at his words. Aww, Stephen. He then approached me, placing his forehead against mine. A smile grew on my face, matching his own. As much as I would love to remain in his embrace, I have to finish our breakfast before it burns.

"Stephen, I need to finish making breakfast." I informed him.

He let out a groan, but nevertheless loosened his grip around me. I gave his cheek a peck before speaking again. "Happy birthday, Stephen."

Stephen's smile widened, looking touched by my words. He repsonded in awe. "You remembered?"

"Of course. I would never forget an important day like this. Why do you think I'm doing this?" I questioned, motioning towards the stove.

Stephen wore a teasing smile. "I don't know, perhaps you were finally being nice?"

I lightly slapped his hand as I gave him a playful smile as I leaned in, replying with my own joke. "Careful, Strange. I am in control of your food."

Stephen snorted. "You wouldn't dare."

I raised an eyebrow. "Would you like to try me?"

Stephen let out a chuckle, but raised his hands. "All right, I'll leave you to it. I'll be at the dining table."

Stephen gave my forehead a kiss before pulling away from my embrace. Reluctantly, I turned my attention back to the stove, finishing our breakfast. Once breakfast was ready, I grabbed plates, putting them down at the dining table along with two mugs of coffee.

"Here's your dark coffee as dark as your soul." I teased, placing his mug beside him.

Stephen shot me a glare, but I saw the corner of his lips turn upward. He let out a fake laugh. "Ha, ha, ha, very funny."

However, as soon as he took a sip of his coffee, a huge smile appeared on his face as he let out a sigh of content. He extended a hand out towards me, which I immediately took, intertwining my fingers with his, feeling my heart flutter.