Chapter 22: The Picnic

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 22: The Picnic ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Once Grant was taken away from the base, I made my way to the lounge, turning on the television to see Christian on the screen, making an announcement to the U.N. Here we go. Despite our talk with Christian, I still waited, feeling anxious.

"Dignitaries, ladies and gentlemen, less than forty-eight hours ago, brave men and women lost their lives at this very spot I'm standing now, and I think we owe it to them to discuss something all too often elusive...the truth. Sometimes we want things simpler than they actually are, but...the tough reality is, we are complex creatures. And I've come to understand something that world must, as well. There is a difference between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra. One was an organization built on protection, and the other...world domination." Christian began.

"And just as good and evil existed side-by-side within S.H.I.E.L.D., the same was true in my own home. At first, I was ashamed to share this truth with the world, but my younger brother, Grant Ward, was a member of Hydra." He revealed. "He was a traitor. He was a traitor to his friends, his family, and his nation. When evil sits closest to one's own heart, that is when the surest hand must cut it out."

"I give my word. I will personally make sure my brother is punished for his crimes. But as is so often true, the darkness lingers longer than the light. And while S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, Hydra is a problem that the world must still face. Otherwise, that darkness will grow and spread... and cast a shadow over us all." Christian concluded.

I stared at the television in shock. This was actually happening. Christian finally admitted Grant is his brother and that he's Hydra. All of the sudden, my phone rang. I glanced down to see it was Stephen calling me. My heart fluttered upon seeing his name along with his picture. Immediately, I answered his call.

"Hey Stephen." I greeted.

"Hey Aurora, you all right?" He asked, sounding worried.

"Of course. I'm back at the base." I assured him.

He let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. Did you see the news?"

"You're going to have to be a little more specific than that. Exactly what on the news?" I inquired, rather puzzled. 

"Your ex is being talked about by his brother, a senator." He clarified. "First he's against S.H.I.E.L.D. and now he says it's gone with Hydra in its place. Did you have anything to do with that?"

I was taken back. Had he been following the news about S.H.I.E.L.D.? I never expected him to be interested in the news that involved S.H.I.E.L.D. or me. Now this is something I definitely going to tease him about.

"Have you been following the news regarding my work?" I questioned with a teasing tone.

I heard him let out a nervous chuckle. "Uh, well, I am worried whenever I see news involving your work."

My heart skipped a beat at his words. I was touched by the sentiment. He was worried about me, though I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt. I didn't want him getting so worried about me every time I left.

"I'm glad you watch those news, though I'm sorry for making you worried, and yes, I did have something to do. He changed his mind because we made him an offer he couldn't refuse." I mentioned.

Stephen snickered. "You realize you sound like the Godfather right now."

I shrugged. "What can I say? Maybe I'm in the wrong business."

He scoffed. "Right, and I'd make a great Jedi."

I snorted. "You never know. You could secretly be great at it. Master Strange has a nice ring to it."