Chapter 45: Trouble In Paradise

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 45: Trouble In Paradise ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

As Stephen drove us to the dinner, he told me all about the dinner. However, he didn't tell me what his speech was about, and I was curious to know. Why wouldn't tell me? I wanted to know everything.

"So your speech?" I questioned.

"What about it?" Stephen asked, glancing over at me.

"You have one prepared, don't you?" I inquired.

"Of course. I'm not known for winging it, that is more of a you thing." Stephen quipped.

I snorted. "Very funny."

"I know, it's one of my greatest skills." He commented.

"Oh quit stalling. Just tell me. Please?" I pleaded.

I gave him my best puppy eyes. One look from me and Stephen had caved in. "Okay, well, uh...Good evening, fellow doctors. Ladies and gentlemen--"

Oh no, let's not start that way. Everyone does that. I let a groan. "No, you're going to put me to sleep."

"Hey." Stephen intervened, looking hurt at my words.

"Oh no, I don't mean any disrepect, honey. But you should just get right into it. Get into the heart of the speech. You'll capture everyone's attention." I advised.

"The heart of it?" Stephen asked before letting out a scoff. "That sounds cliché."

"Maybe, but people love clichés. Besides you were going to start with a cliché." I stated. "But if you don't to do something cliché, then why not do something spontaneous?"

This got Stephen's attention as he raised an eyebrow. "And what did you have in mind?"

I shrugged. "I don't know? You could just run up there, start high-fiving people and greet the crowd with a cool catch phrase."

Stephen scrunched his noise. "That sounds like I'm a contestant on a show."

"Come on. You should take this as a celebration. This is a big deal." I pointed out. "Your accomplishments are being acknowledged."

"Which ones?" Stephen asked with an amused smile on his face. "Was it the radical hemispherectomy that I completed last week? Or was it the spine I managed to put back together after you said it couldn't be done?"

He was getting way too excited for this, but I understood. I got excited when it came to my inventions, especially when they finally worked. I let out a chuckle, earning a smile from Stephen. "All right, I get it. Save the cockiness for the audience, Doctor Strange. My point is they were all successes. You have a record unlike any other doctor. You haven't failed once in...well, since you became a neurosurgeon."

"Well, that was the plan all along." Stephen shrugged, returning his attention to the road.

"Yeah, well, I would call that very extraordinary and phenomenal." I commented.

Stephen's smile grew on his face. "Yes, that is all very true. But, I would say the same about you."

He then turned to face me giving me such a gentle and loving look, making my heart flutter. A smile grew on my face, matching the one on Stephen's face. All of the sudden, I felt a pricking sensation coming from the back of my head. I turned my head around behind us to see a car heading for us, not stopping. My heart dropped as I stared in fear.

"Stephen!" I exclaimed in horror.

I saw Stephen freeze, so I used the Force, pushing the accelerator forth, giving us enough distance from crashing into the car behind us. Once Stephen came to his senses, he took over, switching lanes to keep us safe.