Chapter 24: Things Aren't What They Seem

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 24: Things Aren't What They Seem⍟ ⎊ ⧗

"You first." Skye retorted.

I snickered, amused. Though Whitehall didn't look amused at all. In response one of his men raised his gun, cocking it before pointing it at Skye. I grimaced. He wasn't kidding and he made his point very clear. Skye reluctantly made her way towards the case, picking up the Obelisk. To my surprise, it didn't turn her into stone. Instead markings appeared, the same ones as the alien writing, and glowed in an orange light. I stared in awe. Whoa...Raina wasn't kidding. Skye can actually touch it. Skye quickly took the Diviner and pierced an agent's neck, causing him to yell before he turned him into stone.

Cal quickly raised a hidden knife he had, stabbing another agent. Agent 33 and the rest of the agents around us raised their weapons at us. Grant, who stood beside me raised his pistol at the Hydra agents. I kept my weapons concealed, knowing it would be useless. I saw Argos stand in front of Uncle Gregory, protecting him just in case. Whitehall kep this gaze on Skye as a smile grew on his face.

"I hope you're as special as your mother." Whitehall mentioned before glancing over at Cal. "I'll confess...I didn't recognize you when you first barged into my office."

My heart clenched. This wasn't good at all. Cal narrowed his eyes at Whitehall, looking furious. "If my daughter wasn't here, I would tear you and your men to pieces."

"Well, then, I'll add that to the number of reasons that I'm glad she's here." Whitehall said before turning towards Grant. "You are the piece of the puzzle that I can't decipher. Why are you really here?"

Reluctantly, Grant handed his weapon over to the agents and Skye did the same. I thenwatched as Grant looked over at Skye, and I recognized the look on his face. It was love. Raina spoke up before anyone could say anything.

"Is it really that hard to see? It's love. Agent Ward believes if he helps Skye fulfill her destiny, she'll see him for who he really is." Raina revealed.

I watched as Grant remained silent, looking over at Skye, who refused to look at him. It was true. He's in love with her. I grimaced. Well, this is a turn of events.

"Aww. It's a pity that you won't get to fulfill that destiny, or that after all these years, you won't get your vengeance for what I did to your wife." Whitehall mocked. "Secure him. Remain alert around Agent Ward. He's a trained killer, one of the best. I have a feeling that, in time, I can make you comply."

The agents took Grant, Skye, and Cal away, dragging them into a room. Whitehall then turned towards Uncle Greg. "Take Raina and your niece here into the city."

A mysterious smile appeared on Uncle Greg's face. "Of course."

Before I could say a word, I was dragged underground into the alien city. We made our way inside using a drill that pierced through the ground. The place was huge and spacious filled with endless hallways. The place was rather cold, sending a chill up my spine. I wasn't sure whether it was the cold or my fear, but I could feel goosebumps cover my skin. I would be a fool if I said I was not afraid. Truth be I was, I didn't know what to expect here in this desolate city. These aliens, the Kree, who created this city, they were different from my people, from me. I ignited one of my lightsabers as a source of light. As we made our way through the city, we saw Mack, causing Raina to let out a gasp. Raina shined her light rod by his face. That's when we noticed Mack wasn't himself. He stood perfectly still as if he was in a trance with red eyes. My heart dropped. Mack? What happened to him?

"Take us there." Uncle Greg ordered, approaching him.

Without saying a word, Mack turned around, walking off. Uncle Greg turned towards me with a look of excitement as he blurted out. "Isn't this exhilarating?"